Maestro della Santa Caterina Gualino
( 25% )
The Name and Its Coinage: Giovanni Previtali, 1965
The name Maestro della Santa Caterina Gualino was coined by the art historian Giovanni Previtali in “Sulle tracce di una scultura umbra del Trecento: il Maestro della Santa Caterina Gualino (“On the traces of an Umbrian sculpture of the Trecento: the Master of the Gualino Saint Catherine”), *Paragone, vol. XVI, no. 181 (1965), pp. 16–25. The article was reprinted posthumously in Studi sulla scultura gotica in Italia. Storia e geografia, edited by Luciano Bellosi (Turin: Einaudi, 1991), pp. 5–15. The attribution and date are corroborated by numerous independent sources, including the Italian state catalogue (Catalogo Generale dei Beni Culturali, ICCD), the Fondazione Ragghianti photographic archive, the Fondazione Zeri, and the 2024 technical study in the Journal of the American Institute for Conservation.
Previtali was among the most brilliant and methodologically ambitious pupils of Roberto Longhi. According to the Dizionario Biografico degli Italiani (Treccani) and the Dictionary of Art Historians, he came from a family of prominent musicians (his father was the conductor Fernando Previtali), abandoned his studies at the Sapienza in Rome to follow Longhi in Florence, joined the editorial board of Longhi’s journal Paragone around 1961, and published his pioneering study of the reception of medieval art, La fortuna dei primitivi. Dal Vasari ai neoclassici (Turin: Einaudi, 1964), at the age of thirty. After Longhi’s death in 1970 and a rupture within the Longhi school, Previtali left Paragone and in 1975 co-founded, with the archaeologist Mauro Cristofani, the journal Prospettiva. He taught at Messina, Siena, and Naples, and directed the monumental Storia dell’arte italiana for Einaudi. He died in Rome on 3 February 1988.
The reconstruction of the Gualino sculptor belongs to a lifelong strand of Previtali’s work: the extension to sculpture of “the powerfully innovative studies of Roberto Longhi on the Umbrian Trecento” (as Roberto Bartalini put it in his 1988–89 essay in Prospettiva). Longhi had argued for a distinct central-Italian figurative culture, neither Florentine nor Sienese, and Previtali sought its sculptural counterpart. The importance of this line of research is signalled by the fact that it fed directly into the landmark exhibition “Scultura dipinta. Maestri di legname e pittori a Siena, 1250–1450” (Siena, Pinacoteca Nazionale, 16 July – 31 December 1987), curated by Previtali’s pupils Alessandro Bagnoli and Roberto Bartalini.
Previtali’s method here was pure Morellian-Longhian connoisseurship: he grouped a set of anonymous polychrome wood statues on the basis of shared handling — the elongated facial oval, the sharp jutting nose, the thin sensitive lips, the strongly marked and raised orbital arches, the “colonnare” (columnar) conception of the body, and the arched cadence of the drapery over the legs — and named the resulting artistic personality after the single most beautiful and characteristic piece he knew, the Gualino Saint Catherine. In his own words, quoted repeatedly in the Italian state catalogue, the statue expressed “for the first time in the history of our art, a sense truly of mysterious antiquity, a ‘feeling of history’” (Previtali 1965, p. 20).
Works
Saint Catherine of Alexandria
This is the eponymous work of the whole group, and it carries a distinct historiographical weight: it was around this sculpture that Giovanni Previtali undertook one of the rare reconstructions of an anonymous medieval woodcarver among the many who populated the churches of central and southern Italy. Everything subsequently gathered under the master’s name — the Teramo Madonna, the Cerruti tabernacle, the Abruzzese group at the MuNDA — has been measured against it, with the result that its qualities have tended to be read as diagnostic rather than merely particular. For most of the twentieth century, moreover, the piece was known chiefly through old photographs of the kind reproduced here rather than in its present condition, a discrepancy that should condition any account of its appearance.
Strictly frontal and without contrapposto or torsion, the figure resolves into a single narrow vertical, its proportions the most extreme in the master’s surviving production: at 139 cm high and only 31 wide, it reads as a slender shaft, and the carver has done nothing to soften the effect — no projecting elbow, no displaced hip, no drapery cast outward to broaden the outline. The body is nowhere described beneath the cloth; it is inferred solely from the fall of the fabric. What animates the composition instead is a purely graphic event: the wide V opened at the chest where the mantle parts, and the long cascade of narrow parallel folds descending from it to the ground.
A white veil surmounted by a finely decorated crown covers the saint’s head, and a long mantle, opening at the front to disclose the tunic beneath, wraps her figure; one hand holds the martyr’s palm, the other gathers a fold of the mantle. The crown, rather than a nimbus, signals her rank — Catherine’s royal birth was a fixed element of her legend, and the attribute here functions as a badge of status as much as of sanctity. It should be said plainly, however, that in the photograph reproduced the palm is not visible: the left hand closes on empty space at waist level, as though gripping a slender shaft that no longer survives. Whether the attribute was lost, detached during this photographic campaign, or later reinstated is a question properly addressed to the current owner’s documentation rather than resolved by inference here.
The veil rewards attention as a piece of carving in its own right. Descending from beneath the crown in two symmetrical lappets that frame the face closely and terminate at the shoulders, it functions almost as an aedicule for the head, isolating the physiognomy and concentrating the viewer’s eye exactly where the master’s hand is most recognisable. That physiognomy is a long, narrow oval: a high, unbroken forehead, thin brows lifted into shallow arcs, elongated almond eyes set close beside a fine and sharply ridged nose, and a small, softly closed mouth, carried on a long cylindrical neck. It is not the record of an individual sitter but a type, recurring with only minor inflection across the master’s Madonnas.
The two garments are handled in deliberate contrast. Broad, soft masses govern the mantle, which passes over both shoulders, closes at the throat, and is caught up over the right forearm into a heavy, curving swathe, while on the left it falls in a single unbroken plane. The tunic, conversely, is reduced to a dense screen of thin, closely spaced vertical channels running the full height of the figure and pooling only slightly at the hem. This opposition of mass to line — and above all its restraint, the refusal of the agitated, deeply undercut drapery favoured by much Italian wood sculpture of the period — underlies the recurrent characterisation of the master’s manner as French in inflection; Previtali himself described the artist’s activity in terms of a sophisticated francesizzante elegance.
What the photograph shows is, in effect, an unrestored state: the flesh retains its modelling and much of its surface, while the drapery has suffered extensive flaking and loss of the paint layer, exposing ground and bare wood in broad patches down the front of the tunic. That state is now historical. A subsequent restoration recovered the surviving original polychromy — found to be in good condition, notably in the flesh tones, of a luminous tenderness — beneath a thick accumulation of dirt, as the cleaning test at the base of the neck records. Any published discussion should therefore keep the appearance transmitted by the older photographic record distinct from the object as it now exists.
The statue’s early fortune is bound up with a single, persistent misattribution. Exhibited in 1957 at the celebrated Mostra di sculture lignee medioevali at the Museo Poldi Pezzoli in Milan, it was there assigned to a Sienese hand — a judgment fixed verbatim in the Italian state catalogue (code 0100211697):
La statua fu esposta nel 1957 alla celebre ‘Mostra di sculture lignee medioevali’ presso il Museo Poldi Pezzoli di Milano, con il riferimento a un artista senese (cfr. F. De’ Maffei, pp. 57–58).
That is: the piece was catalogued as the work of a Sienese artist by Fernanda de’ Maffei, in a volume prefaced by Géza de Francovich, pp. 57–58. Previtali overturned that attribution a few years later, relocating the master’s culture and radius of activity firmly to southern Umbria — a placement later research has pushed toward Ascoli Piceno and, above all, toward northern Abruzzo and Teramo. As Lucia Arbace has summarised, Previtali “very early on, having immediately set aside the presumed Sienese ancestry with appropriate arguments, had suspected an Abruzzese origin.” The “Sienese painter in Duccio’s orbit” invoked elsewhere is thus a ghost: the discredited 1957 label, transposed from sculpture to painting and fused with the genuinely Ducciesque Gualino Madonna panel and with Simone Martini’s unrelated Pisa Saint Catherine polyptych.
The compiler of the ICCD record judged the statue one of the most compelling surviving works of fourteenth-century Italian wood sculpture, poised between iconographic formulas still Duecentesque in taste and an entirely modern Gothic language of French flavour — echoing the assessment by Previtali already quoted above.
Its provenance runs through the collection of the industrialist and financier Riccardo Gualino, then resident in Rome — his second collection, formed after the loss of his first, and distinct from the Turin holdings catalogued by Lionello Venturi in 1926. The Italian state catalogue records that the sculpture subsequently passed to the Florentine collector and antiquarian Carlo De Carlo, as one of the last purchases he made before his death, acquired from a Roman dealer. Inspecting the statue in Turin in December 2015, the National Museums Scotland project team confirmed that it remains “in the same city and still in private hands, albeit those of another collector” (Rachel King and Luca Palozzi, NMS blog, “A Madonna and Child at National Museums Scotland,” 24 December 2015).
Enthroned Madonna with Christ Child
The group belongs to the long-lived typology of the Sedes Sapientiae, in which the Virgin functions simultaneously as mother and as architectural throne for the incarnate Word. Here, however, the seat itself is almost entirely suppressed: only a bare rectangular block emerges at the Virgin’s proper left, so that the mass of the drapery, rather than any articulated piece of furniture, carries the weight of the composition. The result is a rigorously columnar figure, conceived frontally and read from a single privileged viewpoint — a conception entirely consistent with the sculpture’s original destination, since groups of this kind were as a rule enclosed within a wooden tabernacle with painted hinged shutters, opened for the principal feasts and closed for the rest of the liturgical year. The MuNDA itself notes that, like the Master’s other Madonnas, this Marian group was in all likelihood housed within such a shuttered tabernacle.
The carving is governed by a marked verticality and by an economy of incident that verges on the abstract. The mantle descends from the shoulders in long, unbroken planes, gathering across the knees into a sequence of deep V-shaped troughs whose sharp arrises catch the light in parallel bands; below, the hem breaks into a series of shallow, fan-like folds that spread over the plinth and dissolve the lower contour of the block. There is no torsion, no displacement of weight, no suggestion of a body beneath the cloth other than the schematic swelling of the knees. This is not archaism but a deliberate stylisation: the drapery operates as a rhythmic system, not as a description of textile.
The physiognomy is the surest index of the Master’s hand, repeating in emphatic form the elongated oval, thin lips and sharp nose already noted as his signature. The Virgin’s face is a taut ovoid, narrowing to a small pointed chin; the nose projects as a thin, knife-edged ridge continuing without interruption from the brow; the eyes are wide, almond-shaped and heavy-lidded, their lower rims cut with a firm incision that gives the gaze its characteristic fixity; the mouth is small, closed, and set with a faint downward inflection that reads as gravity rather than expression. The hair falls in flattened, stylised locks framing the cheeks beneath a veil, at whose crown a residue of blue-green pigment survives — the most substantial trace of the original chromatic scheme.
The Child, seated high against the Virgin’s left side and steadied by her left hand across his torso, is treated as a diminutive adult rather than an infant: the cranium is disproportionately large and domed, the forehead high and bare, the features compressed into the lower half of the face. His body is enveloped in a tunic whose folds cross the chest in tight, ropelike ridges, and his own gestures — the raised left hand, the object or drapery gathered at his right — are now compromised by loss and abrasion, so that any reconstruction of a blessing gesture or of an attribute must remain hypothetical. The Virgin’s right hand, hanging at her side and heavily damaged, may equally have held an attribute now lost.
The state of conservation conditions any reading of the work. The gesso ground and polychromy survive only in scattered islands, chiefly on the flesh areas of the two faces and at the crown of the veil; elsewhere the exposed wood, seamed by vertical drying cracks and worn along the projecting folds, presents a warm monochrome that is emphatically not the medieval appearance of the object. The original effect would have been one of dense, saturated colour and gilding, reinforced by the painted wings of the tabernacle — a polychrome ensemble in which sculpture and painting were experienced as a single artefact.
Enthroned Madonna with Christ
This group is generally regarded as the summit of the anonymous master’s surviving production. It is displayed in the cappellone of the cathedral, though its origin lies in an unidentified locality within the province of Teramo — a provenance gap that should be borne in mind, since it deprives us of the original architectural and devotional setting.
The most consequential feature of the object, and the one most easily overlooked in reproduction, is the flat wooden plank rising behind the figure. Split, worn along its edges and stripped of most of its preparation, it nonetheless preserves at the level of the Virgin’s head the arc of a painted nimbus — a blue field bounded by a red contour — which establishes beyond doubt that sculpture and panel were conceived as a single unit. What survives, in other words, is not a free-standing statue but the core of a shrine: a Madonna a sportelli, whose carved group was set against a painted ground and closed by hinged, painted wings, opened for the Marian feasts. Read in this light the composition ceases to be sculpture in the round and becomes something closer to a high-relief altarpiece, designed for a fixed frontal apprehension and for the theatrical revelation that the opening of the shutters produced.
Within that frontal scheme, however, the carving is remarkably supple. The Virgin sits with her knees slightly disaligned, the Child raised on her proper left, so that a gentle diagonal traverses a composition that in earlier examples of the type would have been rigorously axial. The mantle passes over both shoulders and falls to the lap in broad, softly rounded planes; across the shins it gathers into a sequence of deep, curving catenary folds whose troughs retain a dense blue, while the crests, abraded to the ground layer, read as pale ridges. Beneath, the tunic appears in a strong red, articulated by a vertical band down the centre and by traces of ornament that suggest an originally far richer surface, probably including gilding. The transition from the taut, almost planar upper body to the ample cascade of the lower drapery is managed without abruptness, and it is precisely this fluency that separates the Teramo group from the drier, more columnar works of the master’s circle.
The head is the passage of highest quality and, fortunately, of best preservation. The face is a long, smooth oval, the forehead high and unbroken, framed closely by a pale veil from beneath which two flat locks of dark hair emerge at the temples. The brows are thin, high and evenly arched; the eyes are large, elongated and almond-shaped, the upper lid drawn in a single unbroken curve; the nose is narrow and knife-edged; the mouth small, softly modelled, with lips still bearing their red. Delicate pink accents survive on the cheekbones. The slender figure, the fluid drapery, the colour, and the spiritual cast of a face with delicate features, sharp nose and elongated eyes have long been recognised as the defining qualities of this statue. The expression is grave and inward, without either the hieratic fixity of Romanesque wooden Madonnas or the anecdotal tenderness of later Trecento production; the type is best described as courtly, and its evident debt to French Gothic models has been a constant of the critical literature.
The Child is by contrast the most compromised element. Almost wholly stripped of its polychromy, it now presents a bare, lightly tooled wooden surface on which the carver’s cuts remain legible. The body is largely nude, a drapery gathered across the hips and falling over the Virgin’s knee; the head is disproportionately large, domed and hairless, with wide-set eyes and a small mouth, and the physiognomy is that of a miniature adult rather than an infant. He holds a spherical object at his lap — plausibly an apple or an orb, but too worn for certain identification — while the Virgin’s right hand, brought forward before her body, closes its fingers around a void that once held an attribute, most probably a flower or a slender stem, now lost. Both readings should be advanced only as hypotheses.
The question of the master’s formation remains genuinely open, and the Teramo Madonna sits at the centre of it. The traditional view of an Umbrian training is not universally accepted: the majority of the works given to him are in, or come from, Abruzzese territory, and his frankly Gothic manner has been held to stand closer to the wooden sculpture of Angevin Naples, whose influence marked much Abruzzese production throughout the Trecento. Lucia Arbace (2010) has argued more specifically for an Abruzzese and indeed Teraman origin for the artist. The elegance of this particular group — its long cadences of drapery and its courtly facial type — is precisely the evidence on which the “Neapolitan” reading rests.
Madonna and Child
Among the works gathered around this anonymous personality, the Cerruti group is the one that most completely preserves the original conception of the type, and it should be read first of all as a piece of furniture rather than as a statue. The Virgin is carved almost in the round, but she remains physically bound to a rectangular plank that rises behind and beside her, its surface gilded and painted; and along both vertical edges of that plank survive the iron pintles — three on either side, still in place — that once carried hinged shutters. What we are looking at, therefore, is the fixed core of a tabernacolo a sportelli: a small portable shrine whose painted wings closed over the sculpture for most of the year and were opened for the Marian feasts — the same arrangement posited elsewhere in this group, but here it is not inferred, only materially attested by the surviving hardware. The consequence for interpretation is considerable: the object was designed for a controlled, ceremonial disclosure, and its frontality is not a formal limitation but a functional premise.
The union of carving and painting is total. The gold ground, laid over the panel and now heavily abraded to reveal the grain beneath, functions exactly as the ground of a panel painting would, while the throne itself is realised partly in low relief and partly in pigment: small moulded plinths appear at either side at the level of the Virgin’s knees, and a darker vertical band at the right may represent a further architectural or textile element. The distinction between sculpture and painting, in other words, is deliberately dissolved. This is significant for the reconstruction of the artist’s identity, since Previtali defined the master as both painter and woodcarver; the Cerruti tabernacle is arguably the clearest surviving demonstration of that dual competence within a single artefact.
The figure itself represents the master’s manner at its most refined. The proportions are extreme: a very long neck rises from narrow shoulders to support a head of pronounced vertical emphasis, with a high, smooth, unbroken forehead. The veil, gilded and falling in soft loops to either side of the face, is drawn over a darker cap and mantle; two thin strands of hair escape at the temples. The features are drawn with the same linear economy noted throughout this master’s work, and here the eyes deserve particular attention: long, narrow, set close to the nasal ridge, with the upper lid cut in a single unbroken arc and the brows lifted into high, thin curves. The mouth is small and delicately reddened, the chin slight. The expression is neither maternal nor hieratic in the Romanesque sense but courtly and abstracted, and the affinity with French Gothic ivories and their Italian reception is unmistakable. Previtali situated this francesizzante manner geographically, tracing it across Umbria “to the left of the Tiber”, the Teramo, Aquila and Rieti districts, and the southern Marche.
The costume retains a remarkable amount of its original chromatic and decorative scheme. Over a crimson tunic — its surface still showing traces of a punched or stamped gold pattern — the Virgin wears a dark blue-green mantle whose folds descend in long, narrow vertical channels flanking the body. A gilded orphrey runs vertically from the throat down the length of the tunic, and a second gilded band borders the neckline; both are worked with fine incised ornament that reads, at a distance, as embroidered gold. Across the lap the mantle gathers into a broad, softly swagged fold that arcs from hip to hip before breaking into the deep, parallel troughs that fill the lower half of the composition; at the base, the two feet emerge on a low projecting ledge, the suppedaneo that in this typology is regularly retained even when the throne is otherwise suppressed.
The Child, set against the Virgin’s proper left and rising to the height of her shoulder, is clothed rather than nude — a dark mantle over a red tunic mirroring his mother’s — and is presented as a small adolescent rather than an infant, with a rounded bowl of dark hair, a long-eyed face repeating the maternal type in miniature, and no trace of the physical intimacy that Trecento devotional sculpture would increasingly favour. The two figures do not look at one another; both gaze outward, past the viewer.
The iconographic crux lies at the centre of the composition, where the Virgin’s hands are brought together before her body, palms upward, cradling an elongated pale object marked with parallel striations, while beneath the Child’s hand appears a shallow gilded form of concave profile. Neither element can be securely identified from photography alone. The first might be a rolled rotulus, a book, or a folded cloth; the second might be a vessel, the remains of a gilded attribute, or a reworked passage. Given the abrasion of the surfaces and the likelihood of restoration in this area, both should be recorded as unresolved and referred to direct examination and to the Cerruti catalogue entry, rather than resolved by analogy.
The reference to the Master of the Santa Caterina Gualino has not, so far as I can establish, been contested. The sculpture is described as a hieratic wooden figure attributed to the master and dated 1320–30, kept among the earliest works of the collection in the camera della Torre of the Villa Cerruti, alongside Starnina’s Madonna dell’Umiltà and Sassetta’s Sant’Agostino — a room whose acquisitions may have been advised by Federico Zeri. Other accounts of the collection likewise refer the sculpture to the master, described as active in Umbria and Abruzzo in the opening decades of the Trecento, and note the piquancy of its presence in a Turinese collection, given that the master’s conventional name derives from another great Turinese collector, Riccardo Gualino.
Madonna and Child (National Museums of Scotland)
Of all the sculptures gathered under this conventional name, the Edinburgh Madonna is the one we know best and, paradoxically, the one that has done most to unsettle the category to which it belongs. Acquired in 1950 from the collection of the recently deceased Sir Michael Sadler, it is the only Madonna and Child by the artist outside Italy, and one of very few anywhere in public ownership. It is displayed in the Art of Living gallery at the National Museum of Scotland, and it has been the subject of a sustained interdisciplinary campaign whose results bear directly on how the object should now be described.
The group returns to the full Maestà formula, and, unlike the Aquila and Teramo examples, it retains an articulated throne: rectangular blocks with moulded upper edges emerge at either side at hip level, and the drapery is disposed around them rather than in place of them. The Virgin sits four-square and frontal, the Child raised on her proper left. What distinguishes the carving is its depth. The mantle is drawn across the lap in a broad, heavy swag whose lower edge dips in a long catenary curve, and from beneath it a triangular cascade of folds descends between the knees, flanked on either side by deep vertical channels cut almost to the block’s edge. This is a sculptor working with real volume and undercutting, quite unlike the linear economy of the Turin Saint Catherine; the light is made to pool in the troughs and break sharply on the ridges.
The Virgin wears a tall openwork crown, its band still carrying traces of blue, surmounted by trefoil or fleur-de-lis finials of which several are broken or lost — a fragile and technically demanding passage, and evidence that the object was conceived for close viewing. Beneath it, a veil falls to the shoulders and is drawn across the brow, banded with blue at its upper edge. The face itself deserves careful notice, because it departs perceptibly from the physiognomic type usually cited as the master’s signature: the oval is broader and fuller, the cheeks fleshier, the eyes wide-set beneath heavy lids rather than long and narrow, the nose straight and comparatively blunt, the chin rounded. The expression is calm and slightly withdrawn. Whether this constitutes a variant within one hand, a phase of a career, or the work of a different carver is precisely the question that recent research has opened.
Seated on the Virgin’s left knee, clothed in a mantle over a tunic, with short hair cut in a fringe across the brow, he is again a small adult rather than an infant, and again no glance is exchanged between the two figures. His right hand rises before his chest, apparently in blessing; his left rests at his side, closed on a rounded object at the level of the Virgin’s knee. The Virgin’s own right hand is splayed prominently across the front of the composition, its long fingers carved with unusual attention. The hands, however, must be read with caution rather than described as original: the recent conservation treatment included the removal of fingers added to the Christ Child in the 1960s, a decision whose ethics required deliberation within the team and was opened to public discussion in a series of blog posts. What is visible now is therefore the outcome of a considered conservation choice, and any published description should say so.
The polychromy survives in islands rather than continuously: blue holds in the recesses of the mantle and on the crown band, a strong crimson persists across the Virgin’s tunic — where traces of an ornamental panel remain at the chest — and in the Child’s garments, while broad passages of gesso and bare wood are exposed across the projecting folds. The present appearance is thus emphatically a residue. Technical study established that the original scheme was far richer, including gold and glazed tin, and that removing later overpaint exposed a previously hidden underdrawing; the findings have prompted plans for a three-dimensional colour reconstruction. The presence of an underdrawing on a carved figure is not a marginal detail: it bears on the long-standing characterisation of this artist as both carver and painter, and on the wider question of how sculptors and polychromers collaborated in Trecento Umbria and Abruzzo.
Previtali’s group, first proposed in 1965, was expanded by him over the following three decades to twelve sculptures, among them this Madonna and the Saint Agnes at the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum in Boston; further pieces have since been added by other scholars, including Luca Palozzi (2014). A joint team from National Museums Scotland and the Gardner Museum has since subjected the Edinburgh Madonna and the Boston Saint Agnes to comparative scientific analysis, with cross-reference to three further sculptures of the group, in order to test an attribution that had been universally accepted in the art-historical literature; the published results emphasise how difficult it is to verify stylistic associations in the laboratory. The museum itself frames the outcome as an open question: whether these sculptures were in fact made by one hand, whether there is any proof, and whether the Master of St Catherine of Gualino existed at all or is a twentieth-century construction.
This is the crucial point for anyone writing on the group today. The name remains indispensable as a critical shorthand, and no positive disproof has been offered; but the technical evidence has neither confirmed the single hand nor supplied a means of confirming it. For the Edinburgh Madonna in particular — whose facial type diverges from the canonical one — the responsible formulation is attributed to, with the current state of the debate stated rather than suppressed.
Saint Agnes
This is the best-preserved surface in the group and, for that reason alone, the most instructive. Where the Aquila Madonna has been reduced to bare wood and the Edinburgh figure to islands of pigment, the Boston Saint Agnes still carries a substantially legible polychrome scheme, and it is here that one can begin to grasp what these objects were meant to look like.
The figure is a pure vertical: 131 cm high and barely 27 wide, standing without contrapposto, the weight evenly distributed, the silhouette closed. As in the Turin Saint Catherine, the body is not described beneath the garments but implied entirely by the fall of the cloth, and the mantle drops from the shoulders in long, narrow, closely spaced folds that run almost the full height of the figure before pooling at the base. The only substantial interruption to this columnar rhythm is the deep, softly modelled swathe of drapery caught over the left arm, which opens to reveal a strong blue lining — the single passage of chromatic contrast in an otherwise ivory-and-gold field. The composition is decisively frontal, and the sculpture, though carved in the round, was clearly conceived for a niche or a tabernacle rather than for circumnavigation.
A crown of openwork trefoil or fleur-de-lis finials sits over a veil drawn close about the face; beneath it, long strands of gilded hair fall symmetrically to the shoulders. The face is youthful, rounded and pale, with high thin brows, small close-set features, a delicate straight nose and a small mouth reddened with vermilion; the cheeks retain a soft flush. The expression is impassive and inward, without either narrative animation or the pathos that would come to characterise later Trecento devotional imagery. The crown, as with Catherine, signals status rather than mere sanctity — Agnes was of noble Roman birth, and the attribute belongs to her legend as securely as her martyr’s palm.
Before her chest the saint holds, in both hands, a large circular disc with a deep red ground on which a gilded quadruped is set: the Lamb, the visual pun on her name (agnus) that identifies her across the whole medieval tradition. The solution is worth remarking, since Agnes is far more often shown cradling a living lamb in her arms; presenting the animal instead within a framed roundel converts the attribute into something closer to an emblem or a devotional image held up for veneration.
The museum records that the sculpture is painted with vermilion mixed with lead white, and that the gilding consists of gold leaf applied over tin leaf; it also notes that such works were produced collaboratively, teams of specialists first carving the block and then applying paint and gilding. That last point bears directly on the attribution problem discussed below: if carving and polychromy were routinely divided between hands, then stylistic evidence drawn from the painted surface and evidence drawn from the carving may not converge on a single artist — and Previtali’s original argument rested on both.
The statue was bought by Isabella Stewart Gardner in Florence from the connoisseur and dealer Stefano Bardini for approximately 3,000 lire on 6 October 1897. Its subsequent classification is a compact case study in twentieth-century connoisseurship. The museum’s General Catalogue of 1935 listed it as probably French, fourteenth century; as late as 1963 the house calendar reported that some critics considered the work Italian while maintaining the French attribution; Previtali’s article of 1965 assigned it to the Master of the Gualino Saint Catherine and dated it about 1315; Vermeule’s Sculpture in the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum of 1977 catalogued it as Aquilan, about 1315; and Previtali returned to the group in 1984 in the second of his Due lezioni, subtitled “towards Ascoli and Teramo”. He had meanwhile devoted a separate paper to the problem of the two Saint Agnes sculptures at Fenway Court (Fenway Court, 1976, pp. 36–41) — a reminder that the Gardner holds a second figure of the saint, and that the Boston material has its own internal comparative problem.
The oscillation between “French” and “Italian” is not a mere curiosity of taste. It registers precisely the quality that has always defined this artist: a Gothic language of French inflection realised in Italian workshop practice, sufficiently convincing in its northern cadences to mislead careful observers for three decades.
A joint technical study by the Gardner and National Museums Scotland, employing XRF among other tools, set out to characterise the materials and techniques of the Saint Agnes and to compare them with those of the Edinburgh Madonna and Child, both attributed to the same artist; the museum’s own account concludes that, although the analysis substantially advanced understanding of the two objects, the results were not sufficient to establish with certainty that one artist made both. The findings were published as D. de Bellaigue et al., “Two Sculptures, One Master?”, Journal of the American Institute for Conservation (2023), pp. 1–24. The honest formulation, then, is that the Saint Agnes remains attributed to the Master of Saint Catherine Gualino on stylistic grounds that have not been overturned, and that a serious attempt to corroborate that attribution materially has returned an open verdict.
Previtali’s Later Contributions, and the Geography of “Umbria alla sinistra del Tevere”
Previtali returned to the master and his milieu at least twice more, each time enlarging the corpus and refining the geography:
-
“Una aggiunta al ‘Maestro della Santa Caterina Gualino’,” Paragone, vol. XVII, no. 197 (July 1966), pp. 51–53 (reprinted in Studi, 1991, pp. 11–15) — adding the 71-cm Madonna and Child.
-
“Due lezioni sulla scultura ‘umbra’ del Trecento. II. L’Umbria alla sinistra del Tevere,” Prospettiva, no. 38 (July 1984), pp. 30–41 — the fullest statement of the geographic-cultural thesis. A companion instalment, subtitled “3. Tra Spoleto e L’Aquila: il ‘Maestro della Madonna del Duomo di Spoleto’ e quello ‘del Crocifisso di Visso’,” appeared in Prospettiva, no. 44 (1986), pp. 9–15.
The conceptual heart of Previtali’s project is the notion of “l’Umbria alla sinistra del Tevere.” As Andrea De Marchi and others have explained, Previtali (developing Longhi) argued that fourteenth-century Umbria divided culturally into two zones separated by the Tiber: the right bank (Perugia, Orvieto) enthusiastically adopting the new Tuscan — and specifically Sienese — norm, largely through the sculptural workshop of Orvieto Cathedral; and the left bank clinging tenaciously to older and more autonomous traditions (Assisan, Eugubine, Spoletine). The Gualino master belongs to this second, “left-bank” world. The region was traversed by the “Via degli Abruzzi,” the commercial and military route linking Naples to Tuscany, which reached its greatest traffic in the Angevin period — a context that helps explain the diffusion of a homogeneous figurative culture from southern Umbria across the Teramano and into the Marsica.
Previtali himself located the master’s formation in Umbria while candidly suspecting an Abruzzese origin, which he resisted on quality grounds. As Arbace reports, Previtali reasoned that “the very high quality of these works forbids us to move them toward culturally depressed areas” (Previtali 1965, quoted by Arbace 2019). The technical study adds that Previtali identified the master’s style in the stone bas-reliefs of Orvieto Cathedral and “saw it translated into wood and paint by his ‘Gualino Master’.”
Style, Technique, and the Recent Scientific Turn
Previtali’s stylistic characterisation. Previtali and his followers describe a highly personal, sophisticated, “francesizzante” (Frenchifying) Gothic manner. The beniculturali entries and the auction apparatus, quoting Previtali and Carli, confirm the same diagnostic markers already itemised above — the facial oval, the sharp nose, the thin lips, the raised orbital arches, the columnar body, the arched drapery cadence — and add one further technical observation: the surfaces are worked “without digging deeply, almost grazing the wood without wounding it,” with broad, almost lathe-turned planes prepared to receive the painted decoration.
The typology of the enthroned Madonna — frontal, hieratic, the Child seated on the Virgin’s knee — belongs, as the Pandolfini apparatus notes (citing G. Castelfranco, “Madonne romaniche in legno,” Dedalo, X, 1929–30), to a tradition of tabernacle statuary rooted in Umbria and Abruzzo from the mid-thirteenth to the early fourteenth century, in which the central carved figure was originally enclosed by a tabernacle with folding painted wings.
On punchwork (Skaug and Frinta). The commission asks specifically whether the punch-tool studies of Erling Skaug and Mojmír Frinta address this master. No evidence was found that they do, and the reason is methodological: punch-mark analysis is a tool for the study of gilded panel painting and its gold grounds, used to distinguish the hands of Sienese and Florentine painters. The Gualino master is a wood sculptor, and his surviving works are examined through carving technique, polychromy, gilding, and — recently — dendrochronology and X-ray fluorescence, not through the punch-catalogues of Skaug and Frinta. This is a point at which the commission’s Sienese-painting frame simply does not map onto the actual artist.
The scientific studies of 2015–2024. A genuinely important recent development is a sustained interdisciplinary campaign led by National Museums Scotland (NMS) with the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum (ISGM) and Italian colleagues:
-
Diana de Bellaigue, Lore Troalen et al., “Revealing the archetype: the journey of a trecento Madonna and Child at the National Museum of Scotland” (ICOM-CC 18th Triennial Conference Preprints, Copenhagen, 2017). The conservation of the Edinburgh Madonna included removing later overpaint, which exposed a previously hidden black underdrawing on the Madonna’s face — flagged by the team as “a crucial criterion for comparison with the other sculptures purportedly by the Master.” Computed tomography “identified the sculpture’s wood composition as primarily poplar, dating between AD 1260–1306,” with SEM confirming poplar (Populus spp.). The treatment also involved the ethically debated removal of the Christ Child’s 1960s restored fingers, and the discovery of a rich polychromy including gold and glazed tin.
-
Jessica Chloros and Danielle Carrabino, “Revealing the Layers of European Painted Wood Sculpture Using XRF Technology,” ISGM blog (23 August 2022) — reporting XRF analysis of the Gardner Saint Agnes: vermilion mixed with lead white, and gold leaf applied over tin leaf.
-
Diana de Bellaigue et al., “Two Sculptures, One Master? A Technical Study of Two Rare Examples of Polychrome Sculptures Associated with ‘the Master of Saint Catherine of Gualino’, Italy, Fourteenth Century,” Journal of the American Institute for Conservation, vol. 63, no. 1 (2024), pp. 1–24 (DOI 10.1080/01971360.2023.2219935). The team compared the Edinburgh Madonna and the Boston Saint Agnes, with visual cross-reference to three further sculptures: the two Enthroned Madonnas at MuNDA and the eponymous Saint Catherine in Turin. Its sober conclusion is that the results “highlight the challenges of testing stylistic associations in the laboratory” — the instrumental evidence could neither confirm nor refute Previtali’s single-hand attribution.
This campaign was accompanied by public-facing writing by Luca Palozzi (“Meet the Maestro della Santa Caterina Gualino,” NMS blog, 6 March 2016) and Rachel King. Palozzi’s scholarly hypothesis (2014), as reported in the technical study, is twofold: that the master trained first as a stone carver (the fine finishing of the wood showing techniques close to stone carving, consistent with the Orvieto link), and that, given that at least five of the “Gualino” sculptures are physically in Abruzzo, he was an itinerant sculptor who worked first in Umbria and then moved into Abruzzo.
The Attributional and Historiographical Debate
Because the true identity of this master is that of an anonymous wood carver, the “attributional debate” is not a contest between “early Simone Martini,” “Ugolino di Nerio,” and “the Duccio workshop.” Those names belong to the study of Sienese panel painting and are irrelevant here. The real debate has three axes, all internal to the study of central-Italian medieval wood sculpture.
- Cultural origin:
Umbrian formation versus Abruzzese/Teraman origin. Previtali (1965 and after) placed the master’s formation firmly in southern Umbria, while privately suspecting an Abruzzese origin that he resisted on quality grounds. Enzo Carli, in “Per il ‘Maestro della Santa Caterina Gualino’,” in Studi in onore di Giulio Carlo Argan, vol. I (Rome, 1984), pp. 59–69 (reprinted with updates in Arte in Abruzzo, Milan: Electa, 1998, pp. 65–81), leaned toward Abruzzo, arguing that the stylistic characters “would argue rather in favour of Abruzzo.” Lucia Arbace, from around 2009–2010 and developed in her 2019 essay “Un ricordo di Giovanni Previtali… brevi note sull’attività del Maestro della Santa Caterina Gualino” (in Giovanni Previtali e l’arte dell’Italia meridionale, L’Officina di Efesto, 2019, pp. 13–31), has argued explicitly for Teraman origins, associating additional Abruzzese sculptures with the master. Luca Palozzi (2014) supported the Orvieto/stone-carving connection and the itinerant-sculptor model.
- The coherence of the corpus (one hand or a workshop/region?)
Previtali’s grouping “has since been universally accepted in art historical publications and catalogs,” and has been augmented by later scholars identifying further pieces. Yet the 2024 study’s inability to confirm the single-hand thesis scientifically, together with the auction-house caution that the name has become “a convenient name,” indicates that the boundary between “the master himself,” “his workshop,” and “his region” is genuinely unresolved.
- A documented personal name
No scholar has proposed a documented anagraphic identity for the master; he remains strictly anonymous. Arbace situates him among named Teraman and Abruzzese artists of the period (Antonio d’Atri; Leonardo di Sabino da Teramo, alias the Master of the Beffi Triptych; Matteo da Campli) as context, but does not identify him with any of them. This is an important negative finding: unlike some Notnamen later resolved into documented masters, the Gualino sculptor has not been so resolved.
A note on the commission’s list of scholars. Of the names supplied in the commission, only a subset is genuinely relevant to this sculptor: Giovanni Previtali (namer), Luciano Bellosi (editor of Previtali’s posthumous Studi; verbal confirmations of attributions), Roberto Bartalini and Alessandro Bagnoli (Previtali’s pupils; the 1987 Scultura dipinta exhibition and the 1988 Umbri e toscani catalogue), Enzo Carli, and the recent technical scholars, plus Lucia Arbace and Angela Negro. The remaining names — Bernard Berenson, Ferdinando Bologna, Miklós Boskovits, Pierluigi Leone de Castris, Cristina De Benedictis, Angelo Tartuferi, Andrea De Marchi, Gaudenz Freuler, Machtelt Israëls, Joanna Cannon, John White, James Stubblebine, Hayden Maginnis, Curt H. Weigelt — belong overwhelmingly to the study of Sienese and Florentine panel painting and do not, on the evidence gathered, figure in the literature on this wood sculptor. (De Marchi is a partial exception as a historian of the altarpiece and of central-Italian polychrome sculpture whose framework illuminates the tabernacle typology, but no specific De Marchi attribution to this master was verified; Leone de Castris’s relevant work is on Angevin Naples and Simone Martini, not on this sculptor.) Presenting any of these figures as having pronounced on the Gualino master would be a fabrication, and I decline to do so.
The Gualino Collection and the Circumstances of Its Transfer to the State
Riccardo Gualino (Biella, 1879 – Rome/Florence, 1964) was one of the most flamboyant Italian industrialists and financiers of the early twentieth century, active in textiles (SNIA Viscosa), banking (the Banca Agricola Italiana), and later cinema (Lux Film, producer of De Santis’s Riso amaro and Visconti’s Senso). With his wife Cesarina Gurgo Salice, he began collecting art around 1912, first at the Castello di Cereseto Monferrato and later at the couple’s Turin residence in via Bernardino Galliari.
The decisive figure for the collection’s art-historical shaping was the art historian Lionello Venturi (son of Adolfo Venturi), professor at Turin from 1919 to 1931 and a personal friend of Gualino from their first meeting in 1918. As the Treccani Dizionario Biografico entry on Lionello Venturi records, this relationship “culminated in the publication of the catalogue of the art collection assembled by the patron with Venturi’s advice” — L. Venturi, La Collezione Gualino (Turin–Rome: Bestetti e Tumminelli, 1926) — and in an exhibition of its masterpieces in the rooms of the Galleria Sabauda (L. Venturi, Alcune opere della Collezione Gualino esposte nella R. Pinacoteca di Torino, Milan–Rome, 1928). Venturi’s association with the anti-Fascist Gualino later damaged his own standing with the regime.
The collection’s transfer to the state was the consequence of Gualino’s financial and political ruin. The Musei Reali’s own biographical dossier establishes the sequence: amid the international crisis of 1929, the losses of SNIA Viscosa, the failure of a French partner’s bank (the Banque Oustric), and the hostility of Mussolini (and of Giovanni Agnelli), Gualino pledged to the state the works of ancient art published in the 1926 catalogue. Between 21 and 25 September 1930 the works were delivered to the Galleria Sabauda; some were later sent to furnish the Italian Embassy in London and returned only in the late 1950s. The Gualino trust collapsed in November 1930. On 19 January 1931 Mussolini ordered Gualino’s arrest; he was condemned to confino (internal police exile), which he served at Lipari and then at Cava dei Tirreni, and where he wrote the autobiographies Frammenti di vita and Solitudine and the novel Uragani. His remaining property was liquidated and consigned to the Banca d’Italia (which sold off, among other things, the Modigliani canvases). The collection was thus split between two principal nuclei: the Galleria Sabauda, Turin, and the Banca d’Italia, Rome.
Noemi Gabrielli worked from 1956 to recover as much of the Gualino collection as possible for permanent display at the Galleria Sabauda, publishing a catalogue in 1961 (Collezione Gualino: catalogo, Genoa: Sigla Effe). Most relevant here, the wooden Saint Catherine featured in the major retrospective “I mondi di Riccardo Gualino. Collezionista e imprenditore” (Musei Reali di Torino, Sale Chiablese, 7 June – 3 November 2019, curated by Annamaria Bava and Giorgina Bertolino, with the Banca d’Italia and the Archivio Centrale dello Stato). The exhibition materials describe the trecento Saint Catherine sculpture “from which [the master] takes his name” as “one of the works now rediscovered, among the many dispersed” from Gualino’s second, Roman collection. The accompanying volume, I mondi di Riccardo Gualino, was published by Umberto Allemandi. (A new installation of the Gualino collection at the Sabauda was also presented in November 2022 under director Enrica Pagella.)
Distinguishing the Gualino Madonna. The commission rightly warns against confusion with the “Gualino Madonna.” This is a panel painting (tempera and gold on wood, 157 × 86 cm, c. 1280–1283) in the Galleria Sabauda. Its attribution has itself been contested: overpaint was removed c. 1920, after which it was attributed to Cimabue by Lionello Venturi, on whose recommendation it was acquired by Gualino in 1925; an attribution to Duccio was first published by the French art historian Gustave Soulier in a 1929 pamphlet; the current museum attribution is to Cimabue. It was on loan to the Italian Embassy in London 1933–1959 and given to the Sabauda in 1930. It has nothing to do with the wooden Saint Catherine, beyond the shared collector — a coincidence that is itself part of the mechanism by which the “Sienese painter” phantom arose.
Historical and Devotional Context
The cult of Saint Catherine of Alexandria — not Catherine of Siena. The subject of the name-piece is Saint Catherine of Alexandria, the legendary early-Christian virgin martyr and princess of Alexandria, whose attributes are the crown, the martyr’s palm, the sword, the wheel, and sometimes the book. She must be sharply distinguished from Catherine of Siena (1347–1380), the Dominican mystic canonised in 1461, whose attributes (Dominican habit, crown of thorns, lily, stigmata) are entirely different and who post-dates the sculptor by half a century. The Gualino statue shows the veil, decorated crown, and palm of Catherine of Alexandria. Her cult was pervasive across late-medieval Tuscany, Umbria, and Abruzzo, and her image — a crowned, richly robed princess-martyr — was a natural subject for the devotional tabernacle statuary the master produced. (For completeness, Simone Martini’s own Saint Catherine of Alexandria Polyptych, the largest work of his career — tempera and gold on panel, 95 × 339 cm, signed SYMON DE SENIS ME PINXIT, placed at the altar of Santa Caterina, Pisa, in 1320, now Museo Nazionale di San Matteo — depicts the same saint but is wholly unrelated to the Gualino sculptor; the shared dedication is coincidental.)
The name-piece is not a painted panel, a polyptych element, or a portable diptych wing, but a freestanding carved wooden devotional statue of the tabernacle type already documented above for several works in the group. The Pandolfini apparatus notes that comparable “circle” pieces were originally enclosed in such tabernacles, “still evoked by the backdrop and the footrest,” and Alessandro Delpriori and Andrea De Marchi have argued (developing Previtali) that in this region the most widespread form of altarpiece until the early fifteenth century may have been precisely such monumental tabernacles. The typical Gualino-master statue was conceived for frontal viewing, carved with a concave or flat back. Corrado Fratini and others have argued that in “Umbria alla sinistra del Tevere” the workshop of the wood-carver and that of the painter frequently coincided (the “sistema pittori-scultori”), unlike the sharper specialisation seen at Siena or Venice.
The commission’s request for “Sienese workshop practice c. 1300–1330” is, strictly, a category error for this artist, since he is neither Sienese nor a painter. It is, however, useful as a contrast: whereas at Siena the production of gilded panel polyptychs by Duccio, Ugolino, Segna di Bonaventura, and the young Simone Martini involved specialised painters and gilders (whose tooling Skaug and Frinta have catalogued), the Umbro-Abruzzese world of the Gualino master involved carvers-cum-painters producing polychrome tabernacle statuary for a more provincial and devotionally conservative clientele. The very fact that the 1957 exhibition first read the statue as “Sienese” testifies to a real formal affinity — the courtly, Frenchifying elegance that Sienese painting also cultivated — but Previtali’s achievement was to demonstrate that this was a parallel, autonomous phenomenon, “neither Florentine nor Sienese.”
Conclusion
The Master of the Santa Caterina Gualino is, in the end, a name for a problem rather than a solution: a critical convenience coined by Giovanni Previtali in 1965 to hold together a small body of polychrome wood sculpture that shares a recognisable hand, or at least a recognisable culture, without ever yielding the documented identity that would convert connoisseurship into biography. That the name has held for six decades, surviving the scrutiny of Carli, Arbace, Palozzi, and most recently a battery of laboratory instruments, is itself a measure of how compelling Previtali’s original eye remained even after the tools available to test it had changed beyond anything he could have anticipated.
What is not in doubt is the coherence of the visual evidence on which the attribution rests. Across the Turin Saint Catherine, the two MuNDA Madonnas, the Cerruti tabernacle, the Edinburgh Madonna, and the Boston Saint Agnes, the same repertoire of forms recurs: the elongated facial oval, the thin sensitive lips, the sharp knife-edged nose, the raised orbital arches, the columnar austerity of the standing or enthroned body, and the arched, cascading rhythm of drapery falling from a suppressed or barely articulated throne. This is not a checklist assembled after the fact to justify a grouping; it is the very body of formal observation from which Previtali’s Morellian-Longhian connoisseurship built the personality in the first place, and it has proved durable precisely because it was never merely impressionistic.
Equally undeniable is the geographic and cultural argument Previtali built around that formal core. His notion of “l’Umbria alla sinistra del Tevere” gave the master a plausible world to inhabit: a left-bank Umbria resistant to the Sienese norm radiating from Orvieto, linked southward by the Via degli Abruzzi to an Angevin Naples whose wood-carving traditions left their own mark on the Teramano and the Marsica. Whether the master’s formation began in the Orvietan orbit and travelled south, as Previtali suspected and Palozzi’s itinerant-sculptor model elaborates, or began in Abruzzo itself, as Carli and Arbace have argued, the debate has never questioned the geographic logic Previtali supplied — only where within it to place the master’s origin.
The physical evidence gathered around individual works reinforces this picture without ever closing it. The painted nimbus surviving on the plank behind the Teramo Madonna, the iron pintles still fixed to the Cerruti panel, and the tabernacle hypothesis the MuNDA extends to its own Madonnas together establish beyond real doubt that these were never intended as freestanding statues in the round, but as the carved cores of shuttered devotional ensembles — tabernacoli a sportelli — in which sculpture, painted ground, and painted wing were conceived as a single ceremonial object. Any account of the master’s style that ignores this liturgical function risks mistaking a fragment, however beautiful, for the whole.
Against this coherence stands the sobering result of the recent scientific campaign. The joint work of National Museums Scotland and the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum, culminating in the 2024 study “Two Sculptures, One Master?”, applied dendrochronology, XRF, and comparative technical analysis to the Edinburgh Madonna and the Boston Saint Agnes precisely in order to test what connoisseurship had long taken for granted. Its conclusion — that the instrumental evidence could neither confirm nor refute the single-hand attribution — is not a defeat for Previtali’s thesis so much as an honest demonstration of the limits of the method now available to examine polychrome wood sculpture, where carving and painting were often the work of collaborating specialists rather than a single unified hand.
That limitation matters most acutely for the Edinburgh Madonna, whose fuller, softer facial type departs visibly from the canonical oval-and-sharp-nose physiognomy of the Turin Saint Catherine and the Cerruti group. Whether this divergence records a late phase of one career, the intervention of a workshop assistant, or simply the normal variation within a regional idiom has not been settled by the technical study, and it should not be settled here by assertion. The responsible position, adopted throughout this entry, is to describe the Edinburgh piece and the Boston Saint Agnes as attributed to the master rather than as securely autograph, while treating the Turin, Teramo, and Cerruti sculptures — where the physiognomic and material evidence align most closely — as the firmer core of the group.
The historiography surrounding the name is, finally, as instructive as the sculptures themselves. The persistent confusion between this wood carver and the unrelated Gualino Madonna panel, between Catherine of Alexandria and Catherine of Siena, and between the discredited 1957 “Sienese” label and the master’s actual Umbro-Abruzzese culture, together show how easily a conventional name can accumulate false associations once it is repeated outside the specialist literature that coined it. Previtali’s own achievement was precisely to cut through such conflations — to insist that this was “neither Florentine nor Sienese” but an autonomous phenomenon requiring its own frame of reference, sculptural rather than pictorial, Umbro-Abruzzese rather than Tuscan.
Six decades on, the Master of the Santa Caterina Gualino remains exactly what Previtali made him: a critical shorthand, indispensable for organising a coherent body of material, resting on connoisseurship that has weathered every subsequent test without being definitively proven. Future work is likely to come not from stylistic argument alone, which has by now been thoroughly rehearsed, but from further technical study of the kind already begun in Edinburgh and Boston, and from the always-possible discovery of a documentary trace — a payment, a contract, a name — that would finally convert this anonymous personality into a historical artist.