Basilica di Santa Chiara, Assisi
( 25% )
Introduction
Few medieval churches wear their paradoxes as openly as the Basilica di Santa Chiara in Assisi. Raised in pink and white stone at the south-eastern edge of the hill town, its façade gazes across the Umbrian valley towards the great double church of San Francesco at the opposite end of the settlement, so that the two most important Franciscan shrines in the world seem to converse across the rooftops. Yet where the Basilica di San Francesco overwhelms with its frescoed surfaces, Santa Chiara today confronts the visitor with bare, whitewashed walls, fragmentary paintings, and an austerity that is partly the intended expression of a mendicant ideal and partly the accidental residue of eighteenth-century intervention and nineteenth-century earthquake. It is at once a memorial church built in haste over the tomb of a newly canonised saint, a working monastery that has never ceased to be inhabited by an enclosed community, and a repository of thirteenth- and fourteenth-century Umbrian painting whose most important works remain contested in date and authorship.
This essay attempts a critical account of the basilica, moving from its historical and institutional origins through its construction, architecture, and decoration to its relics, its restorations, and its place in art-historical scholarship. Throughout, I have tried to keep distinct four registers of knowledge that are too often blurred in the literature: what the documents actually record; what scholars have come to accept as consensus; what remains genuinely contested; and what belongs to tradition, hagiography, or legend. The distinction matters especially here, because Santa Chiara sits at the meeting point of devotion and art history, and because much that is repeated confidently in guidebooks dissolves, on inspection, into pious tradition or unverifiable attribution.
Clare of Assisi and the Order of Poor Ladies
The woman whose body lies beneath the high altar was born in Assisi around 1193 or 1194 into the family of Favarone di Offreduccio, part of the local feudal nobility; her mother, Ortolana, was herself a woman of some independence, remembered for pilgrimages that reportedly reached the Holy Land. The name most often attached to the family, “Offreduccio” (or, in later tradition, “Scifi”), and the precise details of Clare1’s childhood belong to a hagiographical tradition shaped by the Legenda sanctae Clarae virginis, attributed to Thomas of Celano2 and composed shortly after her canonisation, and by the surviving acts of her canonisation process. These are our principal narrative sources, and they are not disinterested: written for a largely female monastic readership, they present a model of infused sanctity, virtue evident from earliest youth, that conforms to a traditional pattern.
What the sources agree upon is that Clare, moved by the preaching of her fellow citizen Francis3, fled her father’s house on the night following Palm Sunday in 1211 (some accounts give 1212), received a penitential tonsure from Francis at the Porziuncola, and was placed first in the Benedictine monastery of San Paolo delle Abbadesse near Bastia and then at Sant’Angelo di Panzo, before settling at the small rural church of San Damiano below the walls of Assisi. There she remained, as abbess of the community that formed around her, until her death on 11 August 1253, having lived, according to tradition, some twenty-nine years marked by illness. The community she led, the Sorores pauperes or Poor Ladies of San Damiano, later known universally as the Poor Clares (Clarisse), constituted the female wing of the Franciscan movement.
The defining struggle of Clare’s institutional life was over poverty. Where the fourth Lateran Council of 1215 sought to prevent the proliferation of new religious rules and to fold new communities into existing ones, and where Cardinal Ugolino (the future Gregory IX) drafted a Formula vitae modelled on the Benedictine observance4, Clare fought to retain what she called the Privilegium paupertatis, the privilege of owning nothing even in common. The documents record that she obtained a privilege of poverty (tradition and much scholarship place its first grant in 1215 or 1216, though the dating is debated), and that on her deathbed, in 1253, Pope Innocent IV approved the Rule she herself had written, the first known monastic rule composed by a woman for women, through the bull Solet annuere. The original of this document is preserved among the relics of the Protomonastero. Innocent IV visited the dying Clare at San Damiano and presided over her funeral; according to the hagiographic tradition he wished at first to have the office of virgins sung rather than the office of the dead, a gesture read as signalling an intention to canonise her at once.
From death to canonisation: San Giorgio and the decision to build
The genesis of the basilica lies in a decision taken almost immediately after Clare’s death: to bury her not at San Damiano, which lay outside the city walls and was judged too exposed to the risk of a furtum sacrum, the theft of a saint’s body, but within the town, in the church of San Giorgio. This was no ordinary choice. San Giorgio had already served as the first resting place of Francis himself, whose body lay there from his death in 1226 until its translation to the new Basilica di San Francesco in 1230, and it was in San Giorgio that Gregory IX had canonised Francis on 16 July 1228. A church associated with the early education of Francis and with the first cult of both founders was thus, from the outset, freighted with Franciscan memory.
The documented chronology is unusually well attested for a building of this period, and the official scholarly account, published by the monastery and resting on the standard 1994 monograph, is careful about it. Immediately after the funeral, negotiations opened for an exchange (permuta) between the community’s church of San Damiano and its dependencies and the church of San Giorgio with its adjoining hospital and land; an arbitration award of 1 October 1253 confirmed the exchange, and on 6 October the Poor Ladies’ procurator was put in possession of San Giorgio. The execution of the award proved difficult, and it was only under the new pope, Alexander IV5, that the exchange was ratified, on 19 March 1255, a few months before the canonisation.
Clare was canonised at Anagni by Alexander IV in 1255 through the bull Clara claris praeclara, which develops, with heavy rhetorical play on her name, the biblical theme of light. Here the sources introduce a genuine and instructive uncertainty that guidebooks usually suppress: the exact date of the canonisation is not securely known. The surviving exemplars of the bull bear different dates, oscillating between August and October 1255; the figures encountered in the literature include 15 August, 26 September, and 19 October 1255. Some scholarship, arguing from the Legenda’s statement that Clare died two years to the day before a significant moment, has favoured 15 August; the widely reproduced 26 September rests on the date in certain copies. The honest position, and the one taken by the more careful literature, is that the precise day cannot be fixed.
Construction, 1257–1265, and the question of the architect
Although the property exchange was ratified in 1255, and though further contestation delayed definitive ratification until 1259, there are indications that building began around 1257; the scholarly literature retro-dates the start to no later than 20 April 1257, the date of an exchange award by the Rector of the Duchy of Spoleto, and points as well to the intervention of the abbot of San Pietro of Perugia, ordered by the pope, on 9 July 1257. From the fact that Clare’s remains were translated from San Giorgio to the new church on 3 October 1260, it can be inferred that at least the roof of the whole was complete by that date. The solemn consecration was performed by Pope Clement IV6; the standard scholarly account gives the rite the date of 6 September 1265, though the year 1265 is sometimes reported without a precise day, and some popular sources conflate the consecration with the October anniversary of the translation. A conventional shorthand for the building campaign, 1257–1265, is therefore accurate as a span, with the essential structure roofed by 1260.
The financing of the church, like that of San Francesco, drew on papal privilege and public support. The presence, at the base of the façade portal, of two lions of pink Subasio stone is read in the scholarly literature as a token that the church was built with public, communal money, a mark of the “civic sanctity” that Clare’s cult had come to embody. Recent scholarship has emphasised precisely this point: that the appropriation of Clare’s cult by the whole civic collectivity of Assisi shaped even the building history of the memorial basilica dedicated to her. In 1263 the Rule for the wider network of Clarissan houses was issued by Urban IV, and it was under that broader institutional consolidation that the church and its adjoining monastery took their place.
The attribution of the design to the Franciscan friar Filippo da Campello is among the most frequently repeated claims about the basilica, and it is among the least secure. The name appears in guidebooks and even on some official materials as a matter of fact: “designed by Filippo da Campello in 1257.” The documentary reality is more cautious. Filippo da Campello is a genuine thirteenth-century figure, recorded in 1253 as the master “preposto all’opera” of the church of San Francesco; from this the tradition made him the successor of Brother Elias in directing the Assisi works, and, on stylistic grounds, ascribed to him a series of Umbrian churches including Santa Chiara. Treccani’s own entry on him notes that the great art historian Adolfo Venturi regarded him as no more than an economo, a financial steward of the works, and that “the question is still debated.” The official monastery text itself hedges, calling the basilica “probably designed by the Franciscan architect Fra Filippo da Campello.” The prudent conclusion is that the authorship of the design remains unproven: Filippo da Campello is a plausible candidate and a name embedded in local tradition, but there is no secure documentary basis for crediting him with the plan of Santa Chiara, and the attribution should be presented as traditional rather than established.
The architecture: a church in the shadow of San Francesco
The basilica is a single-nave building on a Latin-cross plan, its nave of four groin-vaulted bays terminating in a projecting transept and a polygonal apse. The most authoritative measurements, published by the monastery on the basis of the standard monograph, give the church a length of 57.60 metres, a nave width of 10.80 metres, and a height of 17 metres; the transept measures 26 metres in length and 9 in width, while the apse is only about 7 metres deep. The nave bays narrow slightly towards the entrance. These dimensions matter for the building’s most important art-historical characterisation, which is that Santa Chiara is a reduced and simplified echo of the Upper Church of San Francesco.
The dependence on San Francesco is the organising theme of the modern architectural literature. In his 1990 study — whose very title, “Santa Chiara in Assisi: Architecture and Function in the Shadow of San Francesco,” announces the argument — Hans-Rudolf Meier read the church as formally and functionally derivative of the Franciscan mother church, a memorial building whose shape and history were governed by the cult it served. The interior is structured like the Upper Church of San Francesco: a single nave, a transept, a polygonal apse, and a gallery (ballatoio) running around the perimeter. But there is a telling difference, noted in the scholarly literature: at San Francesco the gallery runs at a level distinct from the vault springing, whereas at Santa Chiara it runs at the height of the pilaster capitals, so that the wall reads as a single unbroken plane below the vaults. The apse, though modelled on that of the Upper Basilica, is shallow because Santa Chiara did not need to house the choir of a large clerical community; its function was different, and its architecture registers that difference.
The exterior is defined by the banding of white and pink (locally, “red”) limestone quarried from Monte Subasio, the same stone that gives Assisi its characteristic colour. The gabled façade is divided horizontally into three zones by two corbelled cornices, and the three zones differ in the working of the stone: large smooth blocks below, rougher courses in the middle, and, at the top, blocks in which the alternation of colour is barely perceptible. A splayed round-arched portal, framed by the two lions, occupies the lower zone; a wheel-shaped rose window of four concentric circles, with two rings of alternately twisted and smooth colonnettes, dominates the centre; an oculus pierces the tympanum. The relationship to San Francesco is again evident: the pediment crowned by an oculus above a rose window echoes the simple forms of the earlier church, so that the two buildings do indeed seem to mirror one another across the town.
The campanile, to the right of the apse, is the tallest in Assisi. The scholarly literature holds that it was built together with the church, an inference drawn from the way one of its sides rests on the north-east wall of the transept’s right arm. Documentary evidence indicates that the tower originally carried a spire: in 1513 a Lombard master offered to demolish its “apicem seu cimam,” and the present conical spire is a reconstruction of 1926 — a dating corroborated by the University of Notre Dame’s photographic documentation of the complex — rising roughly twelve metres and built in connection with a consolidation of the tower’s structure.
The flying buttresses: date and function
The most conspicuous and most discussed feature of the exterior is the row of great flying buttresses (archi rampanti) that stride out from the north flank into the piazza, with a second, hidden set on the south side embedded within the monastery buildings. They are the building’s signature image, and they are the focus of a genuine art-historical question: are they part of the original design, or a later reinforcement?
The scholarly answer is clear, and it rests on two kinds of evidence. First, an inscription set into the middle arch of the right (south) side records the date 1351. Second, and independently, observation of the masonry shows that the buttresses lack bonding (ammorsamenti) at their junction with the nave pilasters (paraste): the arches are not keyed into the original wall fabric but abut it. On these grounds the standard scholarly account, followed by the monastery’s own detailed publication, states that the buttresses are “certainly of a period later than the first construction of the Basilica,” added to counterbalance the outward thrust of the vaults. The arches are semi-octagonal in section on the north side, where they are visible, and rectangular on the south, where they are concealed. Their function, in other words, was structural: the Gothic vaults were pushing the walls outward, and the buttresses were built, most likely in the mid-fourteenth century, to contain that thrust.
Here the literature displays a characteristic split that is worth flagging for its own sake. The precise date 1351, anchored in the physical inscription and reported in the scholarly monograph, is the best-supported figure; but many secondary and tourist-oriented sources render the same event vaguely as “late fourteenth century” or “late Trecento,” and the monastery’s own simplified guide says “built at the end of the 1300s,” even as its scholarly publication says 1351. The discrepancy is not a true scholarly disagreement so much as the difference between a precise, evidence-based datum and its loose paraphrase. A minority of descriptions treat the buttresses aesthetically as an integral expression of the church’s Gothic verticality; but this is a stylistic observation, not a claim that they belong to the original fabric, and the structural and epigraphic evidence that they are a later addition is not seriously in doubt.
The Cappella di San Giorgio and the survival of the earlier church
On the right side of the nave, near the transept, open two chapels — the Cappella del Crocifisso (or di San Giorgio) and the adjoining Cappella del Sacramento — that constitute the most historically charged fabric in the entire complex, for they are the surviving remains of the old church of San Giorgio, incorporated into the new basilica rather than demolished. This is the space in which, according to the documented record, the body of Francis rested from 1226 to 1230, and in which Gregory IX proclaimed him a saint in 1228; it is also where Clare herself was first buried before the translation of 1260. The chapels are today divided by a stained-glass screen into two environments. That the earlier church should survive, absorbed into the body of the later one, gives Santa Chiara a stratigraphic depth that its serene single nave does not at first suggest, and it explains why the basilica is, in a sense, two shrines in one: a memorial to Clare built around the fossil of the church that had briefly held Francis.
The decoration of these chapels dates largely from the fourteenth century. The frescoes are associated in the literature with Puccio Capanna and Pace di Bartolo, among others. Behind the altar of the Sacrament chapel is a Maestà, a Madonna and Child enthroned with Saints Clare, John the Baptist, Michael and Francis, attributed to Puccio Capanna and usually dated around 1340; the figure of Clare is singled out for its quality. Other scenes — an Annunciation, a Nativity, an Adoration of the Magi, and a Resurrection and Passion sequence — are given to Pace di Bartolo and to an anonymous Umbrian master of the Trecento working under the influence of Giotto and Pietro Lorenzetti.
These attributions rest on stylistic judgement rather than on documents. Puccio Capanna is himself a shadowy figure: described by Vasari as one of Giotto’s most important pupils and treated by the Assisans as a fellow citizen, he has few securely documented works, and much of what is ascribed to him in Assisi is attribution rather than record. The chapel attributions should therefore be received as the working consensus of connoisseurship, not as fixed fact.
The crypt and the rediscovery of Clare’s body
The tomb that draws most pilgrims today — the neo-Gothic crypt beneath the nave — is not medieval at all, but a creation of the nineteenth century. After the definitive arrangement of the tomb of Francis in the Basilica di San Francesco in 1850 (his remains having been rediscovered in 1818), attention turned to recovering the body of Clare. On 23 September 1850, the tomb was solemnly opened beneath the high altar, where it was found at a considerable depth, closed by an irregular block of travertine bound with iron. Work on a crypt to receive the body began, by the monastery’s account, on 22 June 1852 and continued until September 1872; the remains were transferred to the new space, according to one scholarly account, on 3 October 1872, the anniversary of the original 1260 translation, under the supervision of the future Leo XIII. The crypt as seen today, however, is not even the 1872 fabric in its original form: it was restructured in neo-Gothic style in a campaign usually dated 1934 or 1935. The visitor who kneels before the “medieval” tomb of Clare is thus in the presence of a nineteenth-century recovery reworked in the twentieth, a fact that the strict layering of evidence obliges us to state plainly, and one that says much about the modern reinvention of medieval shrines.
The Crocifisso di San Damiano
Among the objects preserved in the basilica, none carries greater devotional weight than the Crocifisso di San Damiano, the painted cross before which, according to the foundational tradition of the Franciscan movement, Francis was praying around 1205 when he heard Christ command him to “repair my house.” When the Poor Ladies left San Damiano in 1257 they carried the cross with them, and it has been in their keeping ever since; today it hangs in the Oratorio del Crocifisso, having been placed on public view in the chapel of San Giorgio in Holy Week of 1957. A replica now occupies its original position at San Damiano.
The cross is a croce dipinta of the type known as an “icon cross,” in which the central figure of Christ is surrounded by smaller figures — the Virgin and John the Evangelist, Mary Magdalene, Mary of Cleophas and the centurion, and, in the upper register, ascending Christ and angels — who participate in the meaning of the image. Its iconography belongs to the Christus triumphans tradition: Christ is shown wounded but not suffering, upright and serene, victorious over death rather than collapsing beneath it. The physical description most often repeated gives the work a height of about 190 centimetres, a width of about 120, and a thickness of about 12 centimetres, painted on walnut wood to which cloth (linen) was glued, though at least one source gives larger dimensions (210 × 130), a discrepancy that would need to be checked against a technical publication.
On date and origin, the sources diverge in ways that a careful essay must register rather than resolve. The dominant view assigns the cross to the twelfth century and to an anonymous Umbrian painter, and it is frequently described as the work “of the first half of the twelfth century.” Beyond this, opinion fragments. A widely repeated tradition attributes the cross, or its type, to Syrian influence, citing the documented presence of Syrian monks in the Spoleto valley, and some accounts go so far as to call the painter a Syrian monk; a parallel tradition credits the importation of the Christus triumphans type to Serbian monks.
Some sources push the date back into the eleventh century, even to 1030–1050. These competing claims — Umbrian, Syrian, Serbian; twelfth century, eleventh century — cannot all be correct, and none rests on secure documentary evidence. What can be said with confidence is that the cross is a twelfth-century Umbrian painted crucifix of the triumphant type, of Byzantinising character, by an unknown hand; the more specific ethnic and chronological attributions belong to tradition and hypothesis rather than to demonstrated fact. It is also worth noting that the cross was restored and repainted in 1938, which complicates any close reading of its original surface.
Painting and decoration: masters without names
The interior that greets the visitor is, in painterly terms, a wreck of what it once was, and the story of its decoration is inseparable from the story of its losses. The nave was originally covered with a fresco cycle of the Stories of Saint Clare; these paintings were whitewashed in 1719 on the orders of Bishop Simone Marco Palmerini, reportedly for want of the money to restore them, and what survived was further damaged by the earthquake of 1832. The surviving fragments were rediscovered only around 1900. The bare walls that are so often praised as an expression of Franciscan simplicity are thus, in large part, the product of an eighteenth-century act of erasure compounded by a nineteenth-century disaster — a sobering reminder that architectural “authenticity” is frequently an artefact of later history.
What remains of the medieval decoration is concentrated in the presbytery, transepts, and chapels, and almost all of it is the work of anonymous masters known only by the conventional names that art historians have attached to them — a nomenclature that is itself a confession of ignorance. The most important panel is the great dossal of Santa Chiara and Eight Stories of Her Life, now in the transept, a monumental image nearly three metres tall in which Clare stands frontally at the centre, dressed as a Benedictine abbess in a grey tunic and clasped mantle, displaying a cross, while eight narrative scenes down the sides recount the principal episodes of her life.
The panel bears a painted inscription at the saint’s feet dating it to 1283, under the pontificate of Martin IV; the Protomonastero and Vatican News alike describe it as a rectangular panel measuring 276 × 163 centimetres, executed in tempera in 1283 “as the inscription at the saint’s feet records.” It is attributed to the anonymous painter conventionally called the Maestro di Santa Chiara, and it is celebrated as the earliest hagiographic panel dedicated to the saint. Treccani’s entry notes that a careful analysis of the eight scenes has confirmed the panel’s character as an “official” version of Clare’s image, one that stresses her vocation and her conformity to the Virgin rather than her active miracles.
The same Maestro di Santa Chiara is credited with the large shaped crucifix above the high altar, showing the Christus patiens, the dying Christ, with the Virgin and John the Evangelist, and, at the foot of the cross, Francis, Clare, and the abbess Benedetta who commissioned it. Because Benedetta died in 1260, the crucifix is dated to around 1260 or shortly before, which makes it, on the usual reckoning, the first painting commissioned for the new church. The identity of the Maestro di Santa Chiara is unresolved; recent Italian literature has floated the identification of the master with a painter named Benvenuto Benveni da Foligno — the transept Madonna col Bambino of about 1265, for instance, is described in current accounts as “today identified with Benvenuto Benveni da Foligno” — but this proposal circulates without universal acceptance and should be treated as a hypothesis rather than a conclusion.
The frescoes of the transept and apse present an even thornier tangle of attribution. The right transept and the vault cells above the crossing carry paintings associated with the anonymous “Maestro Espressionista di Santa Chiara,” a painter of the circle of Giotto active in Umbria between the late thirteenth century and the early decades of the fourteenth. The very construct of this “Expressionist Master” is unstable: scholars have variously identified him with Palmerino di Guido, an assistant of Giotto documented between 1301 and 1321, or with his son, and the dating of the transept frescoes has swung between the very end of the thirteenth century and the first years of the fourteenth, depending on how their evident borrowings from the Franciscan cycle at San Francesco are interpreted.
In his 2002 volume, Alessandro Tomei argued for a substantially Giottesque paternity for much of the right-transept decoration, with collaborators including a personality close to the Expressionist Master, and proposed the reign of the first Franciscan pope, Nicholas IV (1288–1292), as a terminus post quem for the Old Testament (Genesis) cycle in the transept.
The left transept preserves a Giottesque Nativity of the mid-fourteenth century, sometimes given to a “Maestro della Natività di Santa Chiara,” and a Byzantinising Madonna and Child of the Hodegetria type. Of the narrative cycle attributed to the Expressionist Master that once decorated the right transept, only fragments of the funeral of Clare survive. The lesson of all this is not that scholarship has failed, but that the surviving evidence supports only a framework of anonymous or hypothetically named hands, working in and around the orbit of Giotto, whose precise identities and exact dates remain, and may always remain, open.
Relics, treasury, and the monastic community
Beyond the tomb and the cross, the basilica and its enclosed monastery preserve a remarkable concentration of Franciscan and Clarissan relics, and here the line between object and document is unusually thin. Among the textiles associated with Clare are her tunic and mantle and other garments; among the Franciscan relics are the original of the bull confirming her Rule and, most famously, the Breviarium sancti Francisci, the composite manuscript — breviary, psalter, and gospel-book — that Francis used for the divine office. The sources record that Brother Leo gave this book to the abbess Benedetta of Santa Chiara to be preserved as a witness to Francis’s sanctity, having first noted in its calendar the anniversaries of several deaths, and that after a period of continued liturgical use it was placed among the relics of the monastery, where it remains. It is a manuscript that is simultaneously a liturgical instrument and a contact relic, and it has become an object of dedicated scholarship in its own right.
A recent episode illustrates how relic and scholarship can intertwine. Study of the patched tunic of Francis preserved in the Basilica di San Francesco, associated with the work of the textile scholar Mechthild Flury-Lemberg, has argued that the many brown patches carefully sewn onto Francis’s tunic were cut from the mantle of Clare, and that a single hand performed the mending — raising the possibility that Clare herself repaired her “brother in faith’s” garment, whether during his life or as a final act of devotion after his death. The claim is presented in the literature as a scholarly hypothesis based on technical analysis of the textiles, and it should be received as such; but it captures something real about the material entanglement of the two founders that the basilica embodies.
The community itself is the living element that distinguishes Santa Chiara from a mere monument. In the years after Clare’s death the primitive community moved from San Damiano into the city, taking up residence in the monastery built alongside the basilica; in 1912, on the seventh centenary of the order’s foundation, Pius X gave this house the title of Protomonastero, first among the monasteries of the order, and in the same year raised the church to the dignity of minor basilica. The enclosed Poor Clares have inhabited the site continuously to the present day, so that the church is not only a shrine to their foundress but the mother house of an order that endures. The crypt was reordered and a new chapel for the display of relics created in the wake of the 1997 earthquake restorations, with relics of Francis, Clare and Agnes brought together; the Cappella di Sant’Agnese, dedicated to Clare’s blood sister, holds the remains of Agnes and of other early members of the community.
Earthquakes, restoration, and the making of the present church
The physical history of the basilica since the Middle Ages is largely a history of damage and repair, and it is essential to understanding why the church looks as it does. The 1719 whitewashing has already been mentioned; the earthquake of 13 January 1832 further ruined the already-covered nave frescoes; the campanile was consolidated and its spire rebuilt in 1926; the crypt was recast in neo-Gothic form in the mid-1930s; and the great rose window and the nave’s stained glass are, in their present form, of the twentieth century. The historiated glass was executed by the Perugian firm Moretti-Caselli and mounted in 1928, its central window showing an angel, the Virgin and Child within a tabernacle, the Madonna of Poverty, Saint Clare with a lily, and the arms of the Franciscan Order — so that much of what the eye takes for medieval glazing is in fact of the interwar years.
The most consequential modern event was the Umbria–Marche earthquake of 26 September 1997, whose most famous casualty was the collapse of vault sections in the Upper Basilica of San Francesco. That collapse, at 11:42 in the morning, killed four people — two officials of the Soprintendenza, Bruno Brunacci and Claudio Bugiantella, and two Friars Minor, Fra’ Angelo Api and Fra’ Zdzisław Borowiec — and destroyed frescoes including the vault cell of Saint Jerome (of the Four Doctors, associated with a young Giotto) and Cimabue’s Saint Matthew from the Evangelists’ vault. Santa Chiara suffered serious damage as well, and the restoration campaign that followed became the occasion for a thorough art-historical reassessment of its decoration: the volume edited by Alessandro Tomei in 2002, whose title promises “architecture and decoration” but whose substance is overwhelmingly the painting, documents the restoration of the frescoes and panels financed by a banking foundation in the years after the earthquake, consolidating structural damage and recovering, among other things, fragments of the lower apse decoration during the 1999–2001 works. The paradox of Santa Chiara’s conservation history is that catastrophe has repeatedly been the mother of scholarship: the 1832 earthquake and the accident of the 1719 whitewash together destroyed the nave cycle, but the 1997 disaster prompted the most rigorous modern study the building has received.
Historiography and open questions
The modern art-historical understanding of Santa Chiara rests on a compact but authoritative body of scholarship. The key sequence runs from Meier’s 1990 architectural study, through the standard monograph of 1994 — a three-part collaborative volume in which Marino Bigaroni treated the documented origins and development, Meier the architecture, and Elvio Lunghi the pictorial decoration — to Tomei’s 2002 volume on the decoration and the post-earthquake restoration. Around this core stand the encyclopaedic syntheses of Treccani and the broader literature on early Franciscan art and architecture, including foundational studies of the origins of mendicant building.
The interpretative stakes of this scholarship are worth stating. Santa Chiara has been read, above all, as a building “in the shadow” of San Francesco: a memorial church that borrows the reduced, aisleless, single-nave-and-transept scheme of the Upper Basilica and adapts it to the needs of a female enclosed community and to the demands of a civic cult. Its place in the study of Italian Gothic is precisely as a document of how the new architecture of the friars was standardised and diffused in Umbria — how a model devised for the burial church of Francis could be recycled, at smaller scale and with functional modifications, for the burial church of Clare. The comparison with San Francesco is not incidental to the building; it is, in a real sense, its subject.
The open questions remain substantial, and they cluster around the categories this essay has tried to keep distinct. The authorship of the design is unresolved: Filippo da Campello is a tradition, not a documented fact. The identity of the painters is largely unknown: the Maestro di Santa Chiara, the Maestro Espressionista, the Maestro della Natività are scholarly conveniences, and the proposed identifications (Benvenuto da Foligno, Palmerino di Guido) are hypotheses in varying states of acceptance. The date and origin of the San Damiano Cross are genuinely uncertain, the twelfth-century Umbrian consensus surrounded by unverifiable claims of Syrian or Serbian derivation and of an eleventh-century date. Even the date of Clare’s canonisation, the event that set the whole enterprise in motion, cannot be fixed within a span of two months. To write honestly about Santa Chiara is to accept that its most repeated certainties — the architect, the painters, the speaking cross — dissolve on inspection into tradition and hypothesis, and that its real documentary spine is at once narrower and more secure than the guidebooks suggest: a property exchange, a translation of relics in 1260, a consecration in 1265, an inscription of 1351 in a buttress, a whitewashing in 1719, a rediscovery in 1850. Between that spine of hard fact and the rich tissue of devotion that surrounds it lies the true subject of the basilica’s history.
Conclusion
The Basilica di Santa Chiara is best understood not as a single monument but as a palimpsest: a thirteenth-century memorial church wrapped around the surviving fabric of the older San Giorgio, stripped of its frescoes in the eighteenth century, shaken by earthquakes in the nineteenth and twentieth, refitted with a neo-Gothic crypt and modern glass, and inhabited without interruption by the community whose foundress it commemorates. Its austerity is partly authentic and partly accidental; its most famous objects are partly documented and partly legendary; its architecture is at once original and derivative, a deliberate echo of San Francesco adapted to a different purpose. What holds these layers together is the cult of Clare herself, the woman who fought popes for the right to own nothing and whose body, rediscovered in 1850, still lies at the heart of the church. For the historian of medieval art, the basilica offers a rare case study in how a building accumulates meaning across eight centuries, and in how much patient distinction is required to tell, in such a place, what we know from what we merely believe.
If the four registers of knowledge announced in the introduction are applied, retrospectively, as an audit of the preceding pages, the results are instructive in their unevenness. The documented spine is narrow but load-bearing: the property exchange of 1253-1255, the translation of Clare’s remains in 1260, the consecration of 1265, the epigraphic date of 1351 on the buttresses, the whitewashing of 1719, the rediscovery of the tomb in 1850. Consensus, resting on stylistic judgement rather than archival proof, covers a wider but softer territory: the twelfth-century Umbrian date of the San Damiano Cross, the 1283 dossal as the earliest hagiographic image of the saint, the basilica’s formal dependence on San Francesco. Genuine and acknowledged contestation clusters around authorship and identity — Filippo da Campello, the Maestro di Santa Chiara, the Maestro Espressionista, the precise day of the canonisation — questions the sources simply do not allow us to close. And tradition proper, the register guidebooks are least willing to flag as such, supplies the Syrian or Serbian monk who supposedly painted the cross, the exact hour of Innocent IV’s change of liturgical heart at Clare’s deathbed, and much of the folk etymology that has grown up around the lions at the portal. Keeping these four registers visibly separate, rather than letting the confidence of consensus bleed into the certainty of documentation, is not a pedantic exercise; it is the only way to write about a building this thickly wrapped in devotion without either debunking it or being absorbed by it.
The case also has a lesson to offer beyond Assisi. Santa Chiara belongs to a recognisable type in the architecture of the mendicant orders: the memorial church built at speed over a freshly canonised body, its plan borrowed and reduced from a more ambitious precedent, its decoration assembled piecemeal over generations by workshops whose names have not survived. Meier’s formula of a building “in the shadow” of San Francesco could, with adjustments, describe a number of Franciscan and Dominican foundations of the same decades - churches that scholarship has tended to treat as derivative footnotes to their more celebrated models rather than as objects with their own logic of patronage, function, and audience. Santa Chiara resists that flattening because its function was never identical to its model’s: an enclosed community of nuns required a different relationship between nave and choir, a different economy of public access, a different balance between the display of relics and the protection of a cloistered life. Reading dependent buildings on their own terms, rather than only as diminished copies, is a method with applications well beyond this single church.
Several of the questions this essay has had to leave open are not, in principle, permanently unanswerable. Technical examination of the San Damiano Cross - dendrochronological dating of the walnut support, pigment and ground-layer analysis of the kind increasingly routine for panel paintings of this period - could in theory narrow the range of dates and origins that connoisseurship alone has left so wide; whether the fragile and venerated object will ever be made available for such invasive study is a separate question, and an institutional one rather than a purely scholarly one. Renewed archival search in the notarial and conventual sources of thirteenth-century Assisi might yet produce the document that has eluded a century of scholarship on Filippo da Campello, or conversely might confirm that no such document ever existed and that the attribution was invented later to supply a felt need for authorship. The post-1997 restoration campaigns have already shown what systematic technical study can recover, in the fragments of lower-apse decoration brought back to light in 1999-2001; a comparable campaign directed specifically at resolving the identity of the Maestro Espressionista and his relationship to Palmerino di Guido remains, as far as the published literature indicates, still to be undertaken.
It is worth returning, in closing, to the fact that Santa Chiara is not only an object of study but a place still lived in. The Poor Clares who inhabit the Protomonastero today are not custodians of a monument in the way a museum staff might be; they are the institutional continuation of the community whose foundress the building commemorates, and their presence means that the basilica’s history has never fully closed into the past tense that scholarship prefers. This is, in the end, the deeper source of the difficulty this essay has tried to manage throughout: a building that is simultaneously an inhabited convent, a pilgrimage shrine, and an archive of contested art-historical evidence does not divide cleanly along those lines, and any account that tries to honour all three registers at once will necessarily leave some questions suspended rather than resolved. That suspension, rather than a failure of method, may be the truest thing that can be said about the Basilica di Santa Chiara: a building whose bare walls, eight centuries on, still hold more than they show.