Basilica di Santa Maria Novella, Florence
( 25% )
Introduction and Historiographical Framing
Few buildings compress the history of Italian art as densely as the basilica of Santa Maria Novella. Rising at the north-western edge of the medieval city, its green-and-white marble façade is, for many travellers arriving at the adjacent railway station, the first monument of Florence they encounter; yet the serene classical geometry of that frontispiece conceals a Gothic preaching-hall of severe grandeur, and behind and around it a convent that was for centuries one of the most important centres of Dominican learning in Europe.
To write the history of Santa Maria Novella is, in effect, to write in miniature the history of Florentine culture from the age of the mendicant orders to the present: its walls carry Giotto’s monumental Crucifix and Masaccio’s perspectival Trinity, its confraternity once owned Duccio’s Rucellai Madonna, its chapter house preserves one of the most ambitious doctrinal fresco programmes of the Trecento, and its transept chapels were painted by Nardo di Cione, Domenico Ghirlandaio and Filippino Lippi. Alberti gave it the first authentically all’antica church front in the city, and Vasari, in the following century, rebuilt its interior according to a wholly different ideal of what a church should be. The building is thus a stratigraphy of Florentine taste, each successive campaign legible against the layer beneath it.
The scholarly literature is correspondingly vast and uneven in reliability, and any responsible account must begin by acknowledging the sedimented layers of tradition through which the building has been transmitted. A great deal of what circulates in guidebooks derives ultimately from Giorgio Vasari’s Lives of the Most Excellent Painters, Sculptors and Architects (1550; second, enlarged edition of 1568), a source that is indispensable and yet demonstrably fallible; other received “facts” descend from the conventual chronicles, above all the eighteenth-century compilation of the Dominican friar Vincenzo Borghigiani.
Modern scholarship has progressively separated the documented from the legendary, and the present essay attempts to make that separation explicit throughout. Four epistemic registers are distinguished: (a) facts firmly documented by archival or material evidence; (b) matters of settled scholarly consensus; (c) genuinely contested or debated questions; and (d) traditional attributions and anecdotes, above all Vasarian ones, that lack documentary support. Making this layering visible is not pedantry: the reputation of Santa Maria Novella has been shaped as much by its legends as by its documents, and to disentangle the two is itself an act of historical understanding.
The modern connoisseurial tradition that made this sorting possible reaches back into the nineteenth century — to the systematic revision of attributions inaugurated by Giovanni Battista Cavalcaselle in the great history of Italian painting he compiled with J. A. Crowe — and forward through the twentieth-century Florentine and Sienese schools of attribution, in which Bernard Berenson was for a generation the most authoritative international voice on Italian painting. The most rigorous recent work on the Trecento fabric of the church and its painters belongs to the tradition of philological connoisseurship represented by Luciano Bellosi and by Miklós Boskovits, whose reconstruction of late-fourteenth-century Florentine painting remains a fundamental instrument for anyone working on Andrea di Bonaiuto, Nardo di Cione or Orcagna. The study of the building’s early Renaissance masterpieces has in turn been reshaped by broader theoretical interventions such as those of Hans Belting on the status of the sacred image “before the era of art” and on the cross-cultural genesis of Renaissance perspective. Where this essay reports a specific archival or attributional finding whose author cannot at present be securely named within the constraints governing this text, the finding is attributed anonymously and flagged as such, rather than credited to a substitute or presented as anonymous common knowledge.
The Site Before the Dominicans
The ground on which the basilica stands lay, in the early thirteenth century, outside the second circuit of the city walls, in open country planted with vines to the west of Florence. An oratory dedicated to the Virgin had existed here since the early Middle Ages, known as Santa Maria inter vineas — “among the vineyards” — and from a relatively early date as Santa Maria Novella, “New St Mary’s,” a name that distinguished it from an older foundation. The small church is generally said to have been enlarged or reconsecrated in the late eleventh century, around 1094. It stood near the gate of San Pancrazio, also called the gate del Trebbio; the excavation beneath the present sacristy of the bases of Romanesque pillars has confirmed, in material terms, the footprint of that earlier structure, so that the building history here is genuinely archaeological as well as documentary.
The Order of Preachers, founded by St Dominic1 and confirmed by Pope Honorius III in 1216, was from the outset an urban and intellectual order, committed to preaching and to the refutation of heresy — in the Florentine and northern-Italian context above all the dualist heresy of the Cathars, whose devaluation of the material and bodily world the mendicants countered both in learned polemic and in the emphatically incarnational imagery they patronised. The choice to settle in the western suburbs, near a busy gate and amid a growing lay population, was characteristic of the mendicant strategy: the friars deliberately established themselves where crowds could be reached and preached to.
According to conventual tradition, a first group of friars reached Florence in 1219, sent from Bologna and led by Fra Giovanni da Salerno; this leadership is a matter of Dominican tradition rather than incontrovertible documentation and should be treated with corresponding caution. In 1221 the friars were granted the church of Santa Maria delle Vigne together with its cemetery, adjoining houses and a parcel of land, the concession being made — as the Musei Civici Fiorentini record — by the canons of the cathedral. The preaching of the friars, most famously that of Peter of Verona (St Peter Martyr), whose activity in Florence is associated with the founding of lay confraternities attached to the church, drew growing crowds through the 1240s, and within a generation the modest oratory had become inadequate to the community’s ambitions.
Foundation and Construction of the Gothic Church
The decision to build a far larger church is generally placed in the early 1240s: the Florentine Dominican community resolved on the enterprise around 1242, and papal indulgences were granted from 1246 to those who contributed financially to the work. The most conspicuous documented moment in the building’s early history is the ceremony of 18 October 1279 — the feast of St Luke — when the foundation stone was laid and blessed by the Dominican cardinal Latino Malabranca Orsini, nephew of Pope Nicholas III2, then in Florence as a papal legate charged with mediating between Guelfs and Ghibellines; Malabranca entered the city in solemn triumph on 8 October 1279 and the stone-laying followed ten days later.
The ceremony is traditionally located in what is now the Cappella Gondi. It is essential to note — and the sources themselves are explicit on this point — that construction was already well under way by 1279; the “laying of the first stone” was a solemn ecclesiastical act charged with symbolic and legatine significance, not the literal beginning of building. The new church, notably, was oriented with its façade to the south. Construction proceeded through the fourteenth century, was substantially complete by mid-century, and the church was formally consecrated only in 1420, by Pope Martin V.
The attribution of the design to the Dominican lay brothers Fra Sisto da Firenze and Fra Ristoro da Campi belongs firmly to the register of tradition rather than of documented fact. Italian scholarship has long characterised the documentary basis for these two names as “molto controverse” — highly controversial — and the safest statement is that the church was designed by architects, very probably from within the Dominican community, whose identities are not securely established.
This is a case in which a beloved and endlessly repeated attribution rests on later conventual memory rather than on any contemporary record, and it is more honest to name the two friars as figures of tradition than to present them as the documented authors of the plan. What can be documented with far greater confidence is the work of Fra Iacopo Talenti, to whom the campanile, the sacristy, the chapter house (the future Spanish Chapel) and much of the convent are securely credited; the friar Fra Jacopo Passavanti and the lay master Benci di Cione Dami are also recorded as participants at various stages. The freestanding campanile, in a Romanesque-Gothic idiom crowned by a spire, is attributed to Talenti and generally dated to the mid-fourteenth century, with a traditional date of around 1330 sometimes cited; the precise chronology of the tower remains one of the points on which documentation is thin and a firm date cannot responsibly be asserted.
The Architecture
Santa Maria Novella is the earliest of the great Florentine basilicas and the first church in the city to deploy the vocabulary of Gothic architecture, in a distinctly Italian and Cistercian-inflected form; it was, in this sense, an exemplar, and its highly original interpretation of the new northern style influenced a great number of later religious buildings. The plan is a croce commissa, a “T”-shaped or tau cross, with a long three-aisled nave meeting a broad transept from which open the cappella maggiore and, flanking it, two pairs of rectangular chapels.
The overall length is given consistently in the standard Italian descriptive literature as 99.20 metres, the width as 28.20 metres, and the transept as 61.54 metres at its maximum; a variant figure of 90.20 metres that occasionally appears is best regarded as an isolated transcription error, since the reputable tradition — the Italian Wikipedia article, the museum literature and the descriptive guides alike — is unanimous on the larger measurement. The nave is divided into six bays, and — in one of the building’s most sophisticated spatial refinements — the spacing of the compound piers diminishes progressively towards the altar, from roughly fifteen metres near the façade to about eleven and a half metres near the crossing.
This deliberate acceleration of the intercolumniation exaggerates the perceived depth of the vessel, so that the church appears longer than it actually is, an optical device consonant with the Italian taste for perspectival effect and, in a sense, anticipating by nearly two centuries the perspectival preoccupations of Masaccio, whose Trinity would be painted on the wall of the very aisle so contrived. The nave is covered by ribbed cross-vaults on pointed (sesto acuto) arches carried on polystyle piers, the transverse arches banded in green and white. The exceptional width and height of the central vessel — the height pushed nearly to the static limits achievable for such a structure — allow the lateral aisles to merge visually with the nave into a single ample hall, an effect ideally suited to the Dominican imperative of preaching to large congregations who needed to see and to hear.
The transept is set well back towards the apse, and the principal chapel is square-ended rather than semicircular: both features derive from the planimetric schemes of Cistercian abbey churches, filtered through the mendicant orders’ adaptation of that austere monastic tradition to the needs of an urban preaching church. A comparison with the Franciscan Santa Croce is instructive precisely because it isolates what is distinctive here. The two great mendicant basilicas of Florence share the disposition of chapels at the ends of the transept and around the apse, in the Cistercian manner, rather than along the flanks of the nave; but where Santa Croce is roofed in open timber trusses, Santa Maria Novella is fully vaulted in stone — a more ambitious, more expensive and more archaising choice that aligns it with the great vaulted churches of the north while retaining an unmistakably Tuscan chromatic clarity in its banded arches and its bicoloured masonry. The result is a building at once northern in structure and Italian in feeling, and it is this synthesis that gives the interior its particular character of severe, luminous amplitude.
The Façade
The façade is a palimpsest in which two centuries and two artistic cultures are reconciled. Its lower zone is medieval: round-arched and pointed-arched blind arcading in green and white marble, framing at ground level pointed niches that shelter the avelli — marble tombs of prominent Florentine families — which continue along the flank of the church in the via degli Avelli. The marble revetment of this lower zone, with its flanking tombs and two lateral portals, was begun in the fourteenth century, the three portals and six avelli generally placed around 1350; the work was then interrupted, and the upper part of the front stood bare, as did the fronts of so many Florentine churches, including the cathedral, Santa Croce and San Lorenzo. The presence of the six inalienable family tombs, embedded in the lower zone and impossible to remove, posed a genuine design problem for anyone wishing to complete the front: any solution would have to incorporate, rather than efface, the Gothic substructure.
The impulse to completion is traced to the milieu of the Council of Florence (1439–42), whose commissions met within the convent and in whose orbit the young Leon Battista Alberti3 moved in the entourage of Pope Eugenius IV4; the idea of finishing the façade appears to date from those years, though the decisive intervention came only about two decades later. It was the wealthy merchant Giovanni di Paolo Rucellai who financed the work as a magnificent private benefaction and entrusted its design to Alberti.
The inscription across the upper entablature:
IOHANES ORICELLARIVS PAVLI F(ILIVS) AN(NO) SAL(VTIS) MCCCCLXX,
“Giovanni Rucellai, son of Paolo, in the year of salvation 1470”, records the patron’s name and a symbolic date of completion in monumental capitals; the beginning of the work is less certain but is generally placed no earlier than 1458.
Alberti’s achievement was to reconcile the Gothic lower zone with a classical upper storey, binding the two into a single geometric system governed by the module of the square and by simple harmonic ratios — an application of proportional theory so consistent that the whole front can be read as a lattice of squares and sub-squares. He framed the rectangular base with corner piers, opened a great round-arched central portal modelled on the Pantheon and hemmed by paired pilasters with Corinthian capitals, laid a broad attic band of inlaid square panels across the middle of the front to mediate between the two zones, and crowned the whole with an upper storey presenting a classical temple front of four pilasters carrying an entablature and pediment — the Christian church here explicitly assimilated to the antique temple.
The two great volutes that flank this upper temple, masking the difference in height between the taller nave and the lower aisles, were a solution of enormous consequence for the subsequent history of church-façade design, endlessly imitated in the sixteenth century and beyond. The materials are white marble and the dark-green serpentine of Prato, the traditional Tuscan chromatic pairing here subordinated to an all’antica logic. The frieze of billowing ship’s sails is the personal impresa of Giovanni Rucellai; the right-hand volute, left incomplete in the fifteenth century, was clad in marble only in 1920. In the later sixteenth century the façade was fitted with astronomical instruments — an armillary sphere and gnomonic (sundial) devices — installed under the direction of the Dominican cosmographer Ignazio Danti, converting the front, remarkably, into an instrument of scientific observation and making it a monument at once of Renaissance humanism and of the new astronomy.
The Cloisters
The conventual complex preserves a sequence of cloisters of the first importance, which together constitute the museum precinct of the modern institution. The Chiostro Verde, built from about 1332 and generally associated with the workshop of Fra Iacopo Talenti, takes its name from the green-earth (terraverde) monochrome of its frescoes — a technique the eighteenth-century Dominican chronicler Vincenzo Borghigiani memorably described as painting “a sugo d’erbe e terra verde,” with the juice of herbs and green earth. Monochrome green decoration of this kind, associated in the later Trecento with the illustration of hermit-saints and other sacred subjects in monastic cloisters, carried its own ascetic connotations, the colour associated with quiet and contemplation.
The walks carry a cycle of Stories from Genesis, of which the most celebrated is the pairing of the Flood and the Recession of the Waters with the Sacrifice and Drunkenness of Noah, a masterpiece by Paolo Uccello (1397–1475). The dating of Uccello’s contribution is genuinely contested: proposals range from the 1420s through the later 1430s to the later 1440s, with recent literature variously favouring a date of c. 1436–40 and, on iconographic, geological and stylistic grounds, a date as late as c. 1447–48. The lunette of the Flood is renowned for its aggressive and disorienting double perspectival construction — two vanishing systems forced to coincide within a single field — and for its harrowing naturalism, the drowning and the saved compressed into a single riven space of almost unbearable density; it is precisely these revolutionary spatial solutions that justify placing it at the end of the campaign, in advance of the rest of the cycle.
The cycle was gravely damaged in the flood of the Arno in November 1966, which struck with particular violence at the lower register of the frescoes. In the ensuing decades the paintings were detached and transferred, and a major campaign of study and conservation was carried out by the Opificio delle Pietre Dure, published as Paolo Uccello a Santa Maria Novella. Restauro e studi sulla tecnica in terraverde; the restoration and technical analysis of the eastern walk’s Genesis scenes represent one of the most searching modern investigations of any Florentine mural cycle, and they returned the detached frescoes to public view pending their eventual re-installation.
Off the same cloister opens the former chapter house, known since the sixteenth century as the Cappellone degli Spagnoli — the “Spanish Chapel” — a name it acquired around 1566 when the room was assigned to the Spanish retinue that had come to Florence with Eleonora di Toledo, wife of Duke Cosimo I. Architecturally the room, with its soaring cross-vault, is one of Talenti’s masterpieces, built in the years around 1343–55. Its decoration was endowed by the merchant Buonamico (Mico) di Lapo Guidalotti, whose bequest of 1355 provided the funds; the frescoes themselves were executed about a decade later, so that a gap of roughly ten years separates the completion of the fabric from its painting.
The prior, Fra Zanobi Guasconi, entrusted the commission to the painter Andrea di Bonaiuto (Andrea da Firenze), the contract being recorded at the very end of December 1365 — the day is given variously as the 30th and, in the documentary publication that first recovered the contract, the 3rd — with a term of twenty-four months from January 1366; the campaign is accordingly dated about 1365–68, with an iconographic programme very probably devised earlier under the priorate of Fra Jacopo Passavanti, whose penitential treatise, the Specchio di vera penitenza, has often been connected with the room’s themes.
The programme is a comprehensive glorification of the Dominican Order and of orthodox doctrine, conceived within the intellectual milieu of the convent’s studium. The right wall carries the so-called Via Veritatis, the Church Militant and Triumphant, in which the black-and-white hounds — the domini canes, “hounds of the Lord,” a punning emblem of the Order — guard the flock against the wolves of heresy, while below appears a model of Florence Cathedral shown, strikingly, with a dome that had not yet been built and would not be raised for another two generations.
The opposite wall bears the Triumph of St Thomas Aquinas5, the great Dominican doctor enthroned amid the personified liberal arts and sciences, each with its historical exemplar. For centuries these frescoes were attributed, on Vasari’s authority, to Simone Martini, Lippo Memmi and Taddeo Gaddi; the correction of this misattribution — the recognition that they are the work of Andrea di Bonaiuto — was the achievement of nineteenth- and early-twentieth-century documentary scholarship, and it was Giovanni Battista Cavalcaselle who, in the history of Italian painting he compiled with Crowe, assigned the cycle to the “Andrea da Firenze” of the documents, an identification subsequently secured when the payment contract naming Andrea di Bonaiuto came to light. The case is a textbook illustration of the passage from Vasarian tradition to documented fact.
The convent further preserves the Chiostro dei Morti (the “cloister of the dead”), the oldest of the cloisters, built between the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries and long used for burial, still retaining fragments of Trecento funerary frescoes in the sepulchral chapels erected by noble Florentine families; the vast Chiostro Grande, for many years inaccessible within a carabinieri barracks and only gradually reopened to the public; the refectory; and the Cappella dei Papi, the “Chapel of the Popes,” so named for its use by pontiffs resident in the convent.
The Chapels and Their Cycles
The chapels of Santa Maria Novella constitute, in effect, a museum of Florentine painting from the mid-Trecento to the threshold of the High Renaissance, each the product of a distinct act of patrician patronage and each legible as a document of the family that commissioned it.
The Cappella Tornabuoni, the cappella maggiore behind the high altar, was decorated for Giovanni Tornabuoni, who acquired the patronage after negotiation with the Ricci family, its previous holders. He commissioned Domenico Ghirlandaio and his workshop — including the master’s brother Davide — under a contract dated 1 September 1485, agreeing a substantial fee (recorded in the amount of some twelve hundred gold ducats, with a further two hundred promised if the chapel were painted to satisfaction); the cycle was executed between 1485 and 1490.
Its subjects are Scenes from the Lives of the Virgin and of St John the Baptist, staged in sumptuous contemporary Florentine interiors and streetscapes crowded with recognisable portraits of the Tornabuoni circle, a fusion of sacred narrative and patrician self-representation that has made the cycle one of the primary visual documents of Florentine social life in the age of Lorenzo de’ Medici. The cycle probably supersedes and echoes an earlier decoration of the choir associated with Orcagna, fragments of which were recovered in twentieth-century restorations. The contract specified, scene by scene, the subjects to be represented and the quality of the pigments to be employed, including the use of costly ultramarine and gold. The stained glass of the triple lancet window was executed to Ghirlandaio’s designs, and the choir stalls were carved by Baccio d’Agnolo.
The Cappella di Filippo Strozzi, at the head of the right transept, was purchased by Filippo Strozzi the Elder — the richest banker of his generation and builder of the Palazzo Strozzi — from the Boni family, who had dedicated it to St John the Evangelist, in the mid-1480s, as part of a broad campaign to rehabilitate the name and standing of his family after its exile. The contract with Filippino Lippi is dated 21 April 1487 and set an original completion date of 1490; the agreed fee is recorded somewhat variously in the sources, in the range of about 300 to 350 gold florins.
In the event the work was interrupted by the painter’s long Roman sojourn to fresco the Carafa Chapel in Santa Maria sopra Minerva, and the Strozzi Chapel was completed only in 1502, well after the patron’s death in 1491; a pilaster inscription records the painter’s name and that date, and the delay generated a documented dispute between the artist and the Strozzi heirs over payment and pigments. The walls depict Stories of St Philip the Apostle and of St John the Evangelist within frameworks of fantastic, all’antica architecture inspired by the recently rediscovered Roman “grotesques” of the Domus Aurea, among the most inventive and unsettling decorative fantasies of the entire Quattrocento. Beneath the arch stands the porphyry tomb of Filippo Strozzi, carved by Benedetto da Maiano.
The Cappella Strozzi di Mantova, at the head of the left transept, is raised above the transept floor — an irregularity explained by the presence of the campanile behind the end wall — and is dedicated to St Thomas Aquinas. Built in the second quarter of the fourteenth century, it was frescoed by Nardo di Cione, brother of Andrea di Cione (Orcagna), in the years around 1350/51 to 1357: a Last Judgment on the end wall, with Paradise and Hell on the flanks, the latter conceived in explicit dialogue with the topography of Dante’s Commedia — so much so that Lorenzo Ghiberti, in his Commentarii, could call it “la cappella dello ‘nferno,” the chapel of Hell.
On the altar stands the signed and dated polyptych of Orcagna, inscribed with the year 1357 and showing the enthroned Redeemer conferring the keys upon St Peter and a book upon St Thomas Aquinas; the altarpiece had been commissioned from Orcagna in 1354 by Tommaso di Rossello Strozzi, and in it the painter notably abandoned the additive logic of the traditional polyptych, unifying the picture field across its compartments. Documentary information on the frescoes themselves is sparse — neither the patron of the murals nor their precise date is securely recorded — and it is the recognised iconographic unity binding the frescoes to the dated altarpiece that leads scholars to treat them as a single campaign, with the programme tentatively associated with the Dominican friar Pietro di Martino Strozzi. This is a chapter, then, in which a firmly dated and signed altarpiece anchors a fresco cycle that is itself almost undocumented — a useful reminder of how uneven the evidentiary record can be even within a single chapel.
The Cappella Gondi, the first chapel to the left of the high altar, was redecorated in marble and porphyry to a design by Giuliano da Sangallo and today houses Brunelleschi’s wooden Crucifix. The Cappella Rucellai, raised at the end of the right transept, once housed Duccio’s great Madonna, from which the panel takes its modern name. The Cappella Bardi, dedicated to St Gregory, retains fragmentary early frescoes, and the Cappella Gaddi was rebuilt by Giovanni Antonio Dosio in the 1570s.
The Major Works of Art
Giotto’s Crucifix (tempera and gold on wood, 578 × 406 cm) hangs once more in the centre of the nave, restored to something like its original position — suspended at a height of about four and a half metres, where it is thought to have hung until the early fifteenth century in connection with the choir screen — after the conservation campaign completed by the Opificio delle Pietre Dure in the autumn of 2001. The attribution to Giotto, long disputed — earlier twentieth-century criticism, cautious after the first restoration of 1937, sometimes preferred to speak of the “Master of the St Francis cycle” at Assisi, a prudence associated with Richard Offner (1939) and Millard Meiss (1960) — is now settled in Giotto’s favour, thanks in decisive part to that restoration, which revealed the very high quality of the paint surface and the underdrawing and disclosed close technical affinities with the Madonna of San Giorgio alla Costa and the Madonna of Borgo San Lorenzo.
The dating remains discussed. The basilica’s own documentation proposes 1288–89, while much recent literature favours c. 1290–95, and a mid-twentieth-century view even entertained a date around 1300. The will of a certain Ricuccio di Puccio, dated 15 June 1312, which endows a lamp to burn perpetually before the crucifix, provides a firm terminus ante quem, and a cross of 1301 by the Lucchese painter Deodato Orlandi, evidently inspired by Giotto’s model, has been used to push the date earlier still. The work is a landmark in the humanisation of the Christus patiens: Giotto abandons the swaying, decoratively arched Byzantine body favoured by Cimabue and disposes the dead Christ according to the laws of anatomy and gravity, the body sagging under its own weight, the naturalism carrying a distinctly anti-Cathar, incarnational charge — an argument in paint for the reality of Christ’s suffering flesh.
Masaccio’s Trinity, on the wall of the left aisle, executed about 1425–27 and measuring 667 × 317 cm, is among the foundational monuments of Renaissance painting. Its rigorous one-point perspective constructs a coffered barrel-vaulted chapel that appears to open into the solid wall — the illusion that led Vasari to marvel that the vault was so well foreshortened “that it seems the wall is pierced.” The mathematical control of the illusion is universally understood to reflect the example, and quite possibly the direct involvement, of Brunelleschi, whose perspectival demonstrations belong to precisely these years. The identity of the two kneeling donors is contested, since no commissioning document survives.
The long-dominant view identified them as members of the Lenzi family, on the basis of a floor-tomb before the fresco bearing that name and the date 1426. A documentary revision published in The Burlington Magazine in 2003, however, connected the altar of the Trinity with the Berti, an artisan family of the popolo of Santa Maria Novella who held a tomb at the foot of the wall and who appear in later records to have possessed “l’altare nostro de la Trinità” — “our altar of the Trinity”; the question cannot be regarded as closed, and the Lenzi and Berti hypotheses continue to coexist in the literature.
Below the main scene a skeleton laid upon a sarcophagus bears the celebrated memento mori:
Io fui già quel che voi siete e quel ch’io sono voi anco sarete”,
“I was once what you are, and what I am you too shall be.”
The fresco was concealed behind a stone altar during Vasari’s remodelling around 1570; the upper portion was detached and moved to the inner façade wall in 1860–61; and only in the restoration of 1952 were the upper section and the lower skeleton reunited in the original position, restoring the work to legibility as a single vertical meditation running from the tomb of Adam below to God the Father above.
Duccio’s Rucellai Madonna, described by the Uffizi — where it now hangs — as the largest known panel painting on wood of the thirteenth century (450 × 290 cm), was commissioned on 15 April 1285 by the Compagnia dei Laudesi, a confraternity devoted to singing the praises of the Virgin, for their chapel in Santa Maria Novella. The contract, the oldest surviving Italian document of its kind, required Duccio di Buoninsegna to paint the Virgin and Child “and other figures” upon a panel already prepared, to use ultramarine and gold, and to execute the work himself without workshop assistance, for a payment of 150 lire; the patron reserved the right of refusal. Vasari attributed the panel to Cimabue, and the misattribution held for centuries.
The commissioning contract came to light in 1790 through the researches of the Dominican friar Vincenzio Fineschi, was published by Gaetano Milanesi in 1854, and its connection to the surviving panel was regarded as definitively established in the early twentieth century, so that the attribution to Duccio is now consensus — notwithstanding a residual scholarly reluctance that at one time even invented a hypothetical “Master of the Rucellai Madonna” to avoid the plain conclusion. The panel takes its name from the Rucellai Chapel, to which it was moved in 1591 from its earlier position, and it remained there until it was transferred to the Uffizi in the twentieth century. The correction of the Cimabue attribution stands as a classic case study in the triumph of documentary and stylistic method over Vasarian tradition. The theoretical significance of such a work — an image commissioned by a confraternity for corporate devotion, and only much later reclassified as a “work of art” and translated to a museum — has been made central to the modern history of the image by Hans Belting, whose account of the sacred image “before the era of art” illuminates precisely the devotional function that panels like the Rucellai Madonna and crucifixes like Giotto’s originally served, before the very category of “art” reorganised the way such objects were seen.
Brunelleschi’s Crucifix, in the Cappella Gondi (roughly 1.7 metres in each dimension), is the only surviving wooden sculpture by Filippo Brunelleschi. Vasari’s celebrated anecdote — that Brunelleschi carved it to rebuke Donatello, whose Crucifix in Santa Croce he had disparaged as a “peasant on the cross,” and that Donatello, astonished at Brunelleschi’s nobler Christ, let fall the eggs he was carrying for their lunch — belongs to the register of legend and is of doubted historical value, however irresistible as a parable of the two sculptors’ contrasting ideals.
Better established is that the sculpture was not made on commission; that Brunelleschi kept it until he gave it to the friars, the donation generally placed around 1443; and that it was originally affixed to a nave pier (between the sites of the later Filippo Strozzi and Bardi chapels) before being moved to the Gondi Chapel in the later sixteenth century. Its dating is debated, proposals ranging from about 1410–15 to the 1420s. To these principal works may be added the stained glass of the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries — including glazing to Ghirlandaio’s designs in the choir — and the varied liturgical furnishings that together make the interior an anthology of Florentine sacred art across three centuries.
The Dominican Intellectual Context
Santa Maria Novella was never merely a church: it was the seat of one of the most important centres of study in the Dominican world, and its intellectual life is inseparable from its art, for the doctrinal programmes of the Spanish Chapel and the Strozzi Chapel were conceived by men trained in its schools. From an early date the convent maintained a studium, as every Dominican priory did, and the teaching of Fra Remigio de’ Girolami — a Florentine who had studied under Thomas Aquinas at Paris and who served for decades as lector of theology in the convent — was formative both for the intellectual prestige of the house and for its engagement with the civic life of the commune, an engagement legible in his sermons Ad Priores addressed to the Florentine priors and in his reflections on peace and the common good.
Recent scholarship, synthesised in the open-access studies published by Firenze University Press on the Dominicans and the making of Florentine cultural identity, holds that the Florentine studium attained the rank of studium generale between 1305 and 1311 — the first indications appearing around 1305 and the status incontrovertible in documents of 1311 — thereby superseding the older tradition, still repeated in some conventual literature, that dated the promotion to 1294. The convent’s library was correspondingly rich: an inventory of 1489 lists some 932 codices, whether held in the library or on loan to the friars, and a new library wing was undertaken in the early seventeenth century, testimony to the continuing bibliographic ambition of the house.
The convent’s civic and ecclesiastical importance was such that it repeatedly housed popes resident in Florence — Martin V and Eugenius IV among them — and in 1439 it hosted sessions of the Council of Florence, the great and ultimately fragile attempt at union between the Latin and Greek Churches, an event that momentarily made this Dominican house a theatre of ecumenical world history. It is worth flagging, as tradition rather than documented fact, the frequently repeated claim that Leonardo da Vinci prepared his cartoons for the Battle of Anghiari in the convent’s Sala del Papa; the association is plausible and often repeated but should be presented with appropriate caution, as a piece of local tradition rather than an established datum.
Vasari’s Remodelling and Later Interventions
Between 1565 and 1571 Giorgio Vasari, commissioned by Duke Cosimo I6 and working in the spirit of Tridentine reform, transformed the interior of the church. He removed the great tramezzo or rood screen that had divided the nave, together with the friars’ choir that had stood behind it, relocating the choir to the cappella maggiore behind the high altar; he reconstructed the lateral altars in a uniform series of tabernacle-frames, an operation that entailed shortening the Gothic windows and, in the process, concealing Masaccio’s Trinity behind a new stone altar. Between 1575 and 1577 Giovanni Antonio Dosio built the Cappella Gaddi. Vasari’s campaign was not an act of vandalism but the deliberate imposition of a new, post-Tridentine conception of the church interior as a unified, transparent space in which the laity could see the high altar and the elevation of the Host — the very opposite of the compartmentalised medieval interior he swept away.
The nature of that vanished screen was long misunderstood, and its recovery is one of the signal achievements of modern architectural history. A pair of foundational studies published in 1974 — one, in the Journal of the Warburg and Courtauld Institutes, devoted specifically to the ponte of Santa Maria Novella and to the problem of the rood screen in Italy, and its companion, in The Art Bulletin, reconstructing the tramezzo of Santa Croce — together with a 1979 monograph on Vasari’s renovations of the two churches under Cosimo I, demonstrated that the Santa Maria Novella screen was called the ponte, “the bridge,” because it was a deep, solid structure pierced by three arched openings and carrying a walkable upper storey with chapels. On the basis of a description of 1556 preserved in Borghigiani’s chronicle and of the conventual tomb registers, the ponte was reconstructed as extending some fourteen braccia, more than eight metres, down the nave — roughly to the middle of the fifth bay counting from the façade, near the steps that still exist — and it was shown that the ponte and the friars’ choir were two separate structures, the choir standing beyond the screen and enclosed on three sides, so that the laity could see neither the friars nor even the high altar.
This reconstruction, and the broader recognition that the mendicant church interior was radically compartmentalised before the Counter-Reformation opened it up, has reoriented the entire study of how such spaces were used, seen and experienced; it also illuminates the original setting of works like Giotto’s Crucifix, which hung in relation to precisely such a screen. Related work on the fate of dismembered contexts and on the reception of works of art within the spaces of mendicant churches has extended the same insight across the study of Florentine and central-Italian painting.
Between about 1858 and 1861 the church underwent a “re-Gothicising” restoration: Vasarian tabernacle-altars were dismantled or reframed in neo-Gothic surrounds, a neo-Gothic high altar was erected, windows and lateral altars were recomposed, and funerary slabs were selected and in part reset among the piers. (The supplied dossier attributes the direction of this campaign to the architect Enrico Romoli; the leadership of the nineteenth-century restoration is one of the points that should be re-verified against the primary restoration literature before publication.) In October 1919 Pope Benedict XV raised the church to the rank of minor basilica. Modern campaigns include the work undertaken for the Jubilee of 2000 — after which admission to the church was regulated by a ticket — and a restoration of the façade carried out between April 2006 and March 2008.
The Complex Today
The church and its principal conventual spaces today form the Museo di Santa Maria Novella, one of the Musei Civici Fiorentini, embracing the Chiostro Verde, the Spanish Chapel, the Chiostro dei Morti, the refectory and, progressively, the Chiostro Grande. Adjoining the convent is the Officina Profumo-Farmaceutica di Santa Maria Novella, widely recognised as one of the oldest pharmacies in the world still in activity: its origin is bound up with the foundation of the Dominican convent, and, according to the institution’s own historical account (corroborated by the standard encyclopaedic literature), it grew out of the friars’ cultivation of medicinal herbs, with the sale of products documented as early as 1381 and the pharmacy formally opened to the public in 1612 under Fra Angiolo Marchissi; its historic sales room is reached from the Great Cloister through a portal designed by Matteo Nigetti. After the suppression of religious houses that followed Italian unification, the enterprise passed into secular ownership in the 1860s–70s.
Conclusion
Santa Maria Novella is at once a Dominican preaching-church, a mausoleum of the Florentine patriciate, a centre of European learning, a laboratory of artistic invention and a monument to the successive tastes that have reshaped it — Cistercian-Gothic in its plan and vaulting, Albertian in its façade, Vasarian in its swept and unified interior, neo-Gothic in its nineteenth-century recasting. Its history is, to an unusual degree, a history of how tradition and evidence pull against one another. The friar-architects Sisto and Ristoro, the Cimabue of the Rucellai Madonna, the eggs of Donatello, Fra Giovanni da Salerno’s leadership of the first friars, Leonardo’s cartoons in the Sala del Papa, and the “bride” that Michelangelo is said to have called the church — all of these belong to a beloved apocryphal or traditional stratum that modern documentary and material scholarship has had, patiently, to set aside or to qualify.
What survives that scrutiny is if anything more remarkable than the legends: a building in which Giotto and Duccio, Masaccio and Brunelleschi, Nardo di Cione and Andrea di Bonaiuto, Ghirlandaio and Filippino Lippi, and finally Alberti himself, each left a decisive mark, and in which the intellectual ambitions of the Order of Preachers — its theology of the Incarnation, its war on heresy, its cult of learning — found their most eloquent Florentine expression. To read the church with the documents in hand is not to diminish its romance but to replace an inherited myth with a truer and richer one.
This labour of separation is not incidental to the essay’s method but is its subject in miniature: the arc that runs from Cavalcaselle and Crowe’s systematic revision of attributions, through Berenson’s connoisseurial authority and the Florentine and Sienese schools he helped to define, to the philological precision of Bellosi and Boskovits and the theoretical interventions of Belting, is itself a history of how the church has been progressively re-described — not merely which painter made which panel, but what kind of object a panel, a fresco cycle, or a crucifix suspended above a vanished rood screen actually was for the community that commissioned it. Each correction recounted here — Cimabue yielding to Duccio, Simone Martini and Taddeo Gaddi yielding to Andrea di Bonaiuto, the “Master of the St Francis cycle” yielding back to Giotto — belongs to this same continuous discipline, and the discipline is not finished: it is a working method rather than a settled inventory, and the honest state of a scholarly synthesis such as this one is provisional in exactly the places where the documents run out.
Several such places have been flagged rather than resolved in the preceding pages, and it is worth restating them together rather than leaving them scattered: the identity of the Trinity’s kneeling donors, Lenzi or Berti, on which no commissioning document adjudicates; the dating of Uccello’s Flood, which recent technical and iconographic argument has pushed later than the older consensus without yet closing the question; the authorship and precise chronology of the frescoes in the Cappella Strozzi di Mantova, anchored only by the dated altarpiece beside them; and the leadership of the nineteenth-century “re-Gothicising” campaign, attributed to Enrico Romoli on evidence this essay has been unable to verify independently. None of these gaps is embarrassing; together they are simply what remains once the Vasarian and conventual traditions have been stripped away and only the archival record is left standing, and a future restoration, a rediscovered contract, or a fresh technical campaign could close any one of them.
None of this uncertainty diminishes the building’s continuing life, which is not confined to the scholarship it has generated. The church that travellers still meet first on stepping out of the railway station that took its name is also, on any given morning, a place of Mass and of Dominican observance, its museum precinct administered alongside its liturgical function in a continuity that the Jubilee restoration of 2000 and the façade campaign of 2006–2008 were undertaken precisely to sustain rather than to interrupt. Santa Maria Novella has therefore never stopped being written, in the double sense that matters here: friars, patrons, and artists wrote it in fresco and stone across three centuries, and cataloguers, restorers, and historians have been rewriting it, correction by correction, ever since. The present account is one more layer in that continuing stratigraphy, offered with its uncertainties left visible rather than smoothed away, in the conviction that a church this thoroughly documented — and this thoroughly mythologised — deserves nothing less.